Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Please Help Is this serious ? Wall Cracks

Hi and thank you for reading this post. I was going to re paint the bathroom, so i removed all the fixings. I removed the built in mirror to find what you will see in the pictures. I believe this is the foundation there is no insulation and I see the cracks continues the stairs pattern behind the wall. The larger crack in the picture is about 5 - 6 inches in length and about an inch in width. Also to note i just looked at the pics the crack is actually north to south it just uploaded the picture on its side. Any information on how this is fixed would greatly help. please help this is a great concern at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Please Help Is this serious ? Wall Cracks-photo-1-.jpg   Please Help Is this serious ? Wall Cracks-photo.jpg  

D3VO949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Not much you can do unless you open up that wall and work on it from both the outside and the inside.
What's on the outside?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

when looking in the crack you see the exterior brick of the house perimeter. behind the brick is the front of the house with soil and some garden stones. how would this get fixed?
D3VO949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #4

You won't get any meaningful answers from here because no-one here can see the whole picture.
The crack may have been like that for years; it may have been normal initial shrinkage of the CMUs, or slight foundation settlement.
If you're really worried about it, get a SE to give an opinion.
tony.g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Since there's no insulation you'll want to take all that down anyway so you can insulate. So I'd start with taking it down and maybe post a picture of the overall wall.

I'm no expert but from what I see it almost looks like it's a poured foundation with cinder blocks for the top portion, it also looks like they may have used a bunch of random size blocks and tried to make it fit. If that's the case what you see may not be as serious since it's just that one section breaking apart so you could probably fix it. But again I'm not an expert and I'm only guessing based on what I see. Either way that does look like a mess. Will want to fix it for sure, but if it is indeed a foundation issue the fix will be more complicated than just patching it.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building, building materials, concrete, crack, foundation