Please Help With A BIG Concrete Crack ! - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please Help with a BIG Concrete Crack !

Hello!

Im having trouble figuring out exactly what to do with this concrete patch job i need to do.

Here''s the deal:

* I ripped up old crappy tile that cracked
* I want to add new tile, but need to deal with a joint where two slabs of concrete come together. See my picture, thats about 3 feet across, and 1-2" deep.

Here's My Plan:

1.) Clean crack and remove as much of the old mortar as I can (which wont be much). Plan to clean with soap and water
2.) Prime with Quikcrete Concrete Bonding Adhesive
4.) Patch with Quikcrete Sand/Topping Mix
5.) Prime again for Self-leveling compound
6.) Apply Self-Level compound (need to raise the concrete about 1.4 inch in some place)
7.) Lay down a crack isolation membrane (like a Schulter Ditra)
8.) Then tile

WILL THIS WORK??? I have no clue what Im doing, and just researched and called a bunch of manufacturers, but afraid that the Sandtopping mix woont bond and that my new tile will crack within a couple months.

Ultimately Im looking for best way to appropriately handle this crack and do this right.

Any suggestions/critiques would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Best

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Please Help with a BIG Concrete Crack !-photo-26-.jpg  

Advertisement

pmlashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

First you need to find out what is causing the rust and fix that. Then use Phospho on the steel and the rest of your plan is fine.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,506

Looks to me like the joint between the slab and footing wall. It will probably continue to crack no matter what you put in there.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Yes I agree. Although I need to do something or my pregnant wife will strangle me!

Is there an alternative to deal with this crack? Or do I just go according to my plan and hope the new tile I lay down doesnt crack before I sell the place 5 or so years from now...?

Im torn on what to do....but i need to do something, fast
pmlashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,506

Lay the tile in such a way that there is a seem or grout joint right over the crack. That way the seem or grout joint will crack and not the actual tile. It won't look as bad.
Or perhaps put a wooden threshold in front of the door and tile the main room.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,462

upstairs, downstairs, interior, or exterior door ? looks like weatherstripping under the door,,, it may be a crack OR it may be a joint disguised as a crack,,, i like joed's thoughts,,, is that rusted rebar ?

1.) Clean crack and remove as much of the old mortar as I can (which wont be much). Plan to clean with soap and water ? ixnay on soap ! ! !
' I have no clue what Im doing ' - that's why the soap ?

IF you're bound & determined to diy, have a tile guy put eyes on it & pay him for his time
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 524

That looks more like an expansion joint to me. One way to work around this is to use two metal tile edging strips parallel to each other. Put one on each side of the joint about 1/4 - 3/8" apart. Tile up to each one and fill the gap between them with silicone caulk. This way the two can move independent of each other. If you tile over the joint I will bet the crack will come back in less than 3 months
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Just like joed said, that's where the concrete floor and footing meet.

The floor should have been poured over the footing and as long as the prep work was done right before the floor was poured.......it wouldn't crack.
Now it will always give you a problem if you use tile.

Unless...............fill in those cracks and any unevenness.
Then put a layer of 6 mil poly and then a piece of 3/4" plywood the size of the area to be tiled.
Use lots of tapcons to attach it to the concrete so it's really solid, 3/16" x 2 1/2" in an 8" grid should work.......make sure their countersunk into the plywood.
Fill in the countersinks and your good to go........you'll need a custom threshold between the tile and the rest of the floor.

One thing......make sure when the tile is installed that the door properly clears the tile floor........that could be an issue.
If it is you will need to remove and re install the door a little higher.

And do a good job of sealing the bottom of the door sill from water getting in !!
Acoustical caulking works good if it's going under the door ( it's really sticky), you could also use silicone but if it's under the door you'll never get the frame out again in one piece.

Advertisement

Last edited by Gary Evans; 01-28-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Gary Evans is offline   Reply With Quote