Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Please check my concrete form

Hi all,
This is a concrete form I built for a patio cover footing. It's 2 2x6 frames screwed together (for a total depth of 12" -- recommended in my area but the overall hole goes to 24"). I dug the hole a little too wide and will fill-in along the sides and plan to get it level and square (concrete will be flush with the slab).

Questions:

1) Is it OK to have it butted against the existing slab like that (this is how the previous footings were done).

2) Should I drill into the slab and put rebar sticking out, or is that not necessary?

3) Will I be able to get the form out afterwards?

Thanks in advance,

juryduty
Attached Thumbnails
Please check my concrete form-20120219_172227.jpg  
juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #2

I prefer sonotubes, no need to remove anything after. I would not have it touching the slab. The slab will move with weather cycles, but the post won't. Where are you that the frost line is only 12"???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

California (bay area). Basically no frost. Won't the sonotubes rock back and forth a little vs. filling in the holes? And if I used them would they look better if I brought them above grade slightly (like 6")?
juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

OK what you will have is a cold seam where the new cement meets the old. If you want to you can roto hammer on to the old slab a couple of holes and put in some rebar and epoxy them in with that good stuff you can buy from home depot. and to add even more strength to it, tie in vertical rebar to that you placed in horizontal making a little rebar cage. It may sound like over kill but remember over kill is under rated.
Because your in a D4 seismic zone the worst. so yeah add the rebar.

Last edited by Nailbags; 02-20-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote