Please Advise Water Leaking Into Brick House - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please advise water leaking into brick house

I live in a 1927 brick bungalow in Denver. Water has been leaking into the house and has caused considerable damage to the dry wall and downstairs floors.

It seems to be a problem caused by water trapped next to the house in an area with a concrete lip. I am thinking that creating good drainage away from this area (and no plants) will resolve the issue. Also, the brick goes down another 5 feet.

pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dazcxc38oi...ouse%20fix.JPG

I would really appreciate any feedback on my current plan:

-Fill in the area with dirt above the 'lip' so the water flows over it.

-Seal the brick to protect it from future water damage (I was recommended Block Fill). I am worried about this step as I have read that water-repellent and waterproof coatings can cause damage, but the brick will be covered by dirt so I am wondering if it needs additional protection.

-Should I cover the dirt with something else to protect it further?

Thank you for any advice/feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Please advise water leaking into brick house-house-fix.jpg  

Advertisement

amyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

[quote=amyoyo;1035270]I live in a 1927 brick bungalow in Denver. Water has been leaking into the house and has caused considerable damage to the dry wall and downstairs floors.

It seems to be a problem caused by water trapped next to the house in an area with a concrete lip. I am thinking that creating good drainage away from this area (and no plants) will resolve the issue. Also, the brick goes down another 5 feet.

pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dazcxc38oi...ouse%20fix.JPG

I would really appreciate any feedback on my current plan:

-Fill in the area with dirt above the 'lip' so the water flows over it.

-Seal the brick to protect it from future water damage (I was recommended Block Fill). I am worried about this step as I have read that water-repellent and waterproof coatings can cause damage, but the brick will be covered by dirt so I am wondering if it needs additional protection.

-Should I cover the dirt with something else to protect it further?

Thank you for any advice/feedback.[/quoe

Is that a curb for a driveway that you are calling a "lip"???

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I wasn't sure what to call it, but no it's not for the driveway, it borders a pathway around house. I hope these pictures will explain it better than I can
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a0z1zuyple1p1q/out3.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i4huvzwtvdaget/Capture.JPG

thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Please advise water leaking into brick house-out3.jpg   Please advise water leaking into brick house-capture.jpg  
amyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Brush the dirt away from the mortar joints that are below grade. Look for gaps in the vertical mortar joints. These are weeps that are deliberately left open to allow condensation to drain or evaporate from the cavity behind the brick. Often, people will add landscaping and raise the exterior grade past these weeps, which allows ground water to run into the cavity. Closing the weeps is not an option either, as they are put there for a reason.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 636

Looks like your trying to form a pond for the water to just lay next to the foundation.
I'm seeing the need to water proof the brick below grade, add a french drain, that runs under the walk way out to the yard, then raise the grade away from the foundation.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote