Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Planter through foundation inside home

OK, maybe this isn't as odd as I think it is. We just rented a home that has an indoor planter filled with river stones and trees in the entryway. The home had been vacant for two weeks before we moved in and the trees had wilted. I pulled out the trees since they couldn't be saved. Here's the catch. It looks like the windows behind the planter used to house sliding doors. I am guessing the owner took out the door, cut through the foundation to the dirt below, and replaced the doors with a wall and ceiling to floor windows. The concrete around the edges of the hole is bare and untreated. The obvious solution to this problem is to fill it in with concrete and tile over like the rest of the entryway.... However, since I am a renter I need a less permanent solution to sealing this thing up. It is a source of insects and mildew in the home and something has to give.

My thoughts so far are to buy some cheap bathroom tile to seal up the edges of the foundation that are exposed and then caulk in a sheet of corrugated plastic to seal off the dirt. I was then going to build a small wood frame (flat bottomed so it won't break the plastic) that I can place a rug over the top of with a small coffee table. I figure if the owner ever moves back in 5 years down the road they can just cut the caulk with a blade and free the plastic and plant to their heart's content. No harm done since the caulk line would be below the tile and would be covered when they pour the stones back in. Is this a bad idea? Should I leave a layer of dessicant beneath the sheet?

Thanks! I want to get rid of the bugs and smell!

Last edited by Absentminded; 10-04-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Absentminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

Why not tell your landlord about the problem,and let him make the repairs needed??

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #3

They told me that they don't care, so too bad for me. That is why I am looking for a cheap patch for us to deal with it for the next 5 years or so.
Absentminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

a photo may aid in getting useful suggestions

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
a photo may aid in getting useful suggestions
Yeah, a pic would definitely help.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

If they dont care, ask them if you can fill with cement. Sounds like they would like the improvement and not having to do the work they wont say no.

pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote