DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Plans for Retrofitting Concrete Porch - Advice?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Canarywood1 
#1 ·
I'd like to get everyone's general opinion on my plan for "retrofitting" my existing concrete porch. Let me say on the outset that I've already considered a complete tear down and replace from scratch and have decided against it due to the high estimates I received and my own uneasiness with doing anything that may compromise the structure of the house.

The porch is a 26Lx5Wx2H covered concrete porch. Upon visible inspection, the concrete is in good condition, there's one small hairline crack at the top I plan on addressing before I do anything else. The porch is covered by part of the roof and is supported by 3 4X4 wood posts elevated off the concrete. The posts appear to be in good shape, but I can only see the bottoms since the remainder is covered in an aluminum siding type material.

My plan is to cover the top of the porch and stairs with Cedar on top of pressure treated/composite sleepers fastened to the concrete with both foam adhesive on blue TapCon concrete screws. For the façade of the porch and stair riser, I'd like to install stone veneer on top of a scratch coat with metal lathe. I plan on replacing the current rusted metal railing with a PVC or wood railing. I plan to wrap the existing posts with some of the pre-fab post wraps they have on the market.

A few questions:
· What are your overall impressions? Is there anything I may be missing?
· Should I at all be concerned with the extra weight the wood/stone will have on the porch?
· Any concern with water under the decking? The porch is covered and doesn't get that wet. Is there any treatment to the top of the porch I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to get everyone's general opinion on my plan for "retrofitting" my existing concrete porch. Let me say on the outset that I've already considered a complete tear down and replace from scratch and have decided against it due to the high estimates I received and my own uneasiness with doing anything that may compromise the structure of the house.

The porch is a 26Lx5Wx2H covered concrete porch. Upon visible inspection, the concrete is in good condition, there's one small hairline crack at the top I plan on addressing before I do anything else. The porch is covered by part of the roof and is supported by 3 4X4 wood posts elevated off the concrete. The posts appear to be in good shape, but I can only see the bottoms since the remainder is covered in an aluminum siding type material.

My plan is to cover the top of the porch and stairs with Cedar on top of pressure treated/composite sleepers fastened to the concrete with both foam adhesive on blue TapCon concrete screws. For the façade of the porch and stair riser, I'd like to install stone veneer on top of a scratch coat with metal lathe. I plan on replacing the current rusted metal railing with a PVC or wood railing. I plan to wrap the existing posts with some of the pre-fab post wraps they have on the market.

A few questions:
· What are your overall impressions? Is there anything I may be missing?
· Should I at all be concerned with the extra weight the wood/stone will have on the porch?
· Any concern with water under the decking? The porch is covered and doesn't get that wet. Is there any treatment to the top of the porch I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.