Pier Construction Advice - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

Pier Construction Advice

I have a 36" section of 7x8 wood girder that I'll be hanging floor joists off of. There will also be a concentrated load from a beam support coming down in the center of this girder. The girder is currently resting on a crumbling brick pier that I need to replace. I'm going to remove the existing pier, excavate and pour a new 30x30x12 footing. The distance from the bottom of the girder to the top of the footing will be about 42".

My question is, whats going to be the least labor intensive way to install a wall between the girder and the footing? I'd like to avoid brick and block as I have no experience with those.

It seems like I should be able to build some forms and pour the footing and wall at the same time. Like a monolithic, upside-down, 36" long "T" shape. I'd install rebar in the footing and possibly up into the wall portion. Does this sound feasible? Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

Pier Construction Advice

May have answered my own question. Looks like I want a monolithic stem wall. If so, any advice/pointers on forming one?

Advertisement

Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote