Pavers Over Landscaping Rocks - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pavers over landscaping rocks

The previous owner of my house put rocks along the back edge of the house going the entire length of the house about 3 feet wide. They also had an above ground pool in the backyard that has since been removed but the sand underneath is still there, the size of it is about 20'x40' and 6 to 8 inches deep (with the 20' side facing the back of the house). And then between where the big sandbox sits and the house is more of the same rocks (about 16'x14'). What i would like to do is put in a huge patio made from pavers along the entire length of the back of my house. What I am thinking about doing though is raking out all the rocks so that they are evenly distributed over the area i want to put pavers down and then move all the sand in the giant sandbox and dump it over the rocks and tamp it all down real good and level it good, and the put pavers over the top of it, and put bricks along the edge to hold everything in place (in addition to staking). Do you guys think this approach will work or am i setting myself up for disappointment down the road? I had thought about digging up the rock and sand but if it can be utilized for the pavers, i will save myself a lot of time and money.

So whats the verdict? Dumb idea or may possibly work?

Advertisement

vertex78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,282

If you want a patio out there go ahead and build it.
If the design somehow calls for some gravel then that's OK too.
FYI: 20'x40' x 3" is almost 10 cubic yards so have it delivered (right THERE if possible)

Leave the gravel at the house alone.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Not sure if I was confusing in my initial questioning but what I want to do is build the Patio where the rocks are, which run the length of the house and about 4 feet wide. Plus there is additional rocks leading from the house to the front of the sand. So I am going to build the patio to be the entire length of the back of the house and in the middle of the house I have double doors that open up and the patio would extend out further, probably 16 feet at that point. So rather than digging all the rocks up I would rack them out to cover as much of the area as I can, adding more rocks if I need to, then use the sand from where the pool was sitting to put on top of te rocks. If that would work then it would save me money on rocks and sand, and I would be able to get rid of most of the stupid sand and have some top soils put in where the same is and get some grass to grow there.
vertex78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex78 View Post
Not sure if I was confusing in my initial questioning but what I want to do is build the Patio where the rocks are, which run the length of the house and about 4 feet wide.
Yes... that detail was completely missed.

Don't forget the drainage.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote