Paver Patio - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 844

Paver patio

Is a paver patio a DIY project? Currently have a 20x30 concrete slab patio that is very old and crappy. Was actually going to demo/rip it up myself and hire someone to lay the pavers but started wondering if I could do I it myself getting some info from some books or videos. Thanks

Advertisement

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,086

If your not afraid of work and you do the research , anythings possible.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,702

A paver patio in place of a concrete slab is hard work, bu it is not rocket science. Any decent place selling pavers (around here j&j materials) has all of the tools, pavers, sand, and gravel that yoiu need.....along with detailed instructions. Where I am, I need 8" of gravel put down in 2" layers and pounded down each time, then an inch of sand, then your pavers. Also need something Ro contain the thing, edging, whatever. Go for polymeric sand (sp.) for between the spaces. It is simple, little thought required, but HARD work. And definitely diy! Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 11,562

Given any thought on how your going to remove and dispose of 26,720 LB. of old concrete?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Given any thought on how your going to remove and dispose of 26,720 LB. of old concrete?
yeah, thats the hard part. i removed a paver patio. moved, built up and extended the area. and reused the pavers. it turned out pretty good, but was a lot of work. i estimated that i moved, by hand and shovel, about 25 tons of materials. my hands hurt for a while after that.

but you are lucky. as you can leave and reuse the base under the slab. maybe just adding a little to it.

if you have the money, it may be a good idea to have someone remove the slab. they have tractors and stuff to make short work of it. but if you have the time, a truck, and a lot of energy, you can do that yourself.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,086

Actually you can lay pavers over a patio if certain conditions are met, could save a lot of work.

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-t...ithout-mortar/
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Actually you can lay pavers over a patio if certain conditions are met, could save a lot of work.

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-t...ithout-mortar/
Have a deck right above the patio....height does not allow that.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Figuring I would have to jack hammer it up(is that how I would break it up) , rent a dumpster and put the pieces/blocks int he dumpster for carting away.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 388

I would look into renting a skid loader for the weekend, maybe even longer. You're talking about a relatively big patio to tear out by hand. And then haul by hand into a dumpster. Also, I wouldn't count on using any of the existing gravel base under the patio. If the patio is that bad of shape, the gravel is likely equally as bad, and mostly dirt at this point. SO, you're going to need to cart a lot of gravel to the back as well, something the machine can make small work out of. One other thought is to look for someone that specializes in skis steer only work. This is right up their alley.....
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 53

I'm probably too late- But if you rip out the patio, rather than paying to rent a dumpster & landiflling the old concrete there are many concrete crusher places that often will take it from you for free. Most cities have them. It you have a bunch of it, they will pay you for it. Big Box stores like Orange Depot rent trucks really cheap. If you got he dumpster route- Check first. Some don't allow concrete.
Bird Doo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #11

Haven't started the job yet but thanks for some very good advice.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 168

If your concrete patio is still flat, evenif cracked, just paver over it. I did this at our last home and it came out great. Used Brock Paver Base between old slab and new pavers instead of sand. Filled in pavers with polymeric sand. Been two years now and good as new.
Splais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splais View Post
If your concrete patio is still flat, evenif cracked, just paver over it. I did this at our last home and it came out great. Used Brock Paver Base between old slab and new pavers instead of sand. Filled in pavers with polymeric sand. Been two years now and good as new.
Deck above won't allow that. I think I'm going to paint over the patio instead.do they have something like that?
Old 06-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Paver patio

Sorry, wrong thread.

Advertisement

stevebrain is offline   Reply With Quote