Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

Share |

Patio ReDo

Just looking for opionions on my upcoming project.

The previous owner put down a paver patio... small pavers, measuring 25'x15', and since I have moved in has become wavy, and looks like garbage. Best part is, he landscapes for a living, and I am sure he did not install the patio correctly. It is possible the patio is 10 years old, and may be why it looks the way it does, but who knows.

Would y'all dig out everything and start over, or just patch up the base and re-lay the pavers. I ask because over 50-percent of the pavers probably have not moved much at all. TY

doublea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

Patio ReDo

You could try to repair the sections that are bad. I did this once on a 10 x 10 sidewalk in front of my house and it held for a couple of years. After that it started to move again. Tore it all out last year and found it done all wrong. Someone had dug out the topsoil about 5-6 inches deep, filled the area with sand, leveled? and placed pavers over the 3" of play sand. When I dug it out I found at least 6 more inches of topsoil under the sand in most areas and up to a foot in some others. Once that was all dug out I had a good gravel base exposed (nice gravel vein under my neighborhood). I leveled that and added enough crusher run limestone to bring the level up to 1" below the grade needed for the pavers to go back. After that was compacted I put in screened limestone "sand", tamped and installed the pavers. So far it is looking good even after a goofy freeze/thaw winter.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Patio ReDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
You could try to repair the sections that are bad. I did this once on a 10 x 10 sidewalk in front of my house and it held for a couple of years. After that it started to move again. Tore it all out last year and found it done all wrong. Someone had dug out the topsoil about 5-6 inches deep, filled the area with sand, leveled? and placed pavers over the 3" of play sand. When I dug it out I found at least 6 more inches of topsoil under the sand in most areas and up to a foot in some others. Once that was all dug out I had a good gravel base exposed (nice gravel vein under my neighborhood). I leveled that and added enough crusher run limestone to bring the level up to 1" below the grade needed for the pavers to go back. After that was compacted I put in screened limestone "sand", tamped and installed the pavers. So far it is looking good even after a goofy freeze/thaw winter.
Thanks. I guess I will dig out a corner and see what the base looks like. Something tells me the previous owner only used leveling paver sand below.
doublea is offline   Reply With Quote