Patio (& Driveway?): Tile/paver/brick? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patio (& driveway?): tile/paver/brick?

Have an opportunity to redo our "patio" which is cracked concrete poured out a different times who knows how many years ago.

The patio area is 25' x 23'
Adjacent and connected to the patio, there is an asphalt area in front of our garage up to a dog gate, that's 25' x 20'.

So I'm wondering what to pave this area(s) with.

I don't want to do concrete, and I'm not too fond of "pavers" (since to me they look like colored concrete-mostly).

Kinda liked saltillo, but a fellow at one tile place opined that since they are sun-fired, they will not last as long as kiln-fired true tile. I also wonder in front of the garage if ANY tile will stand to have a car driven on top.*

Which leads me to real brick-only downside seems to be cost?

Then should this be on top of concrete, or sand bed? I've seen both. We do get seismic movement and have some big tree roots, plus sprinkler pipes and electrical will run under this area. The sand thus seems more flexible if we need to fix something. But *can you drive on top of that?

Or should I just leave car areas asphalt? (I mean from a structural point of view, not cosmetic, I'm missing my camera to upload a picture for cosmetic opinions).

This is in L.A., so freezing is not a concern.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Head_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_Unit View Post
Have an opportunity to redo our "patio" which is cracked concrete poured out a different times who knows how many years ago.

So I'm wondering what to pave this area(s) with.

I don't want to do concrete, and I'm not too fond of "pavers" (since to me they look like colored concrete-mostly).
Brick paver are just that not a concrete paver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_Unit View Post
Kinda liked saltillo, but a fellow at one tile place opined that since they are sun-fired, they will not last as long as kiln-fired true tile. I also wonder in front of the garage if ANY tile will stand to have a car driven on top.*

Which leads me to real brick-only downside seems to be cost?

Then should this be on top of concrete, or sand bed? I've seen both. We do get seismic movement and have some big tree roots, plus sprinkler pipes and electrical will run under this area. The sand thus seems more flexible if we need to fix something. But *can you drive on top of that?

Or should I just leave car areas asphalt? (I mean from a structural point of view, not cosmetic, I'm missing my camera to upload a picture for cosmetic opinions).

This is in L.A., so freezing is not a concern.

Thanks!
I drive on tile set in concrete in Puerto Rico all the time

Now as far as a brick driveway in Calf. Dig out area approx 11" deep and put down a commercial weed cloth.

Place 8" of 2a modified stone mechanically tamped, apply 1/2" concrete sand, set brick pavers, tamp pavers, Then Polymeric Sand sand, Again tamp paver for sand to get into cracks. Do this twice then. Blow off excess sand and then wet sand.

http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/p...meric_sand.htm

Advertisement

21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 21boat For This Useful Post:
Head_Unit (07-09-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

If you get stamped concrete done the RIGHT way, then it will last forever and ever and ever. No pavers. Brick...not so much.
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEPRO View Post
If you get stamped concrete done the RIGHT way, then it will last forever and ever and ever. No pavers. Brick...not so much.
Er, what do you mean by "stamped concrete"?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

Look up a youtube video. It will explain everything.
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #6

Ah, now I get it. Can look great, depending I'm sure on the skill of the applicators. The tree roots could be a negative, unless I guess the concrete would tend to crack on the scoring lines.

Advertisement