DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Patching/sealing old concrete drainage pipe?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jimn01 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am in the process of replacing about 25 feet of concrete sewer pipe that was damaged due to a aggressive thirsty tree. Based on the sewer cam footage the concrete pipe looks pretty good down stream of the main break. There is some wear on the bottom of the pipe with some aggregate showing. I am not going to replace this section as it goes deep and under a sidewalk. I was wondering if I could patch or seal the internal bottom groove of the pipe to add some longevity. Any suggestions on what sealant/mortar may work? I was thinking of trying some self leveling indoor outdoor hydrolic cement. I can jet water down sewer to clean it up and then pour the slurry of cement down pipe. Could push it down the pipe with a snake that has a sponge attached. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Norwest

#11 ·
Yes, the pipe is yours just about any location. However most jurisdictions have standards those pipes must meet. Pouring some kind of patching material down that pipe is not likely to work. It's probably not going to adhere they way you think it might and may become a nightmare later. Either replace that part of the pipe or ignore it for now.

#2 ·
Yeah, call the city or whoever takes care of it..

Those pipes are laid with a laser/target and have rubber rings where they join. The drainage underneath must support the slope, it is "very" important to have it compacted to code to prevent washout..

#3 ·
Ron, I am talking about the inside of the concrete pipe which is buried. The section I am talking about is on my property so it's my prob not utilities:worried: More concerned about the utility/durability of sealants and hydrolic cement. I could be a worn sloped slab with aggregate exposed. In thi case it happens to be the inside of a concrete pipe.
Thanks,

Norwest

#5 ·
storm or sanitary ? difference in invert ( elevation of the inside pipe bottom ) from repair start to finish length ? diameter of pipe ? what kind of tree damage ? this pipe sounds as if its still good to me,,, 'rccp' ( reinforced cement concrete pipe ) generally has svce life of 50yrs..................... got any of those pics to share ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pip...CQKimK3jM:&usg=__PhCLV595YHwG0XpUB4m0N0vdBc4=

#7 ·
every place i've been, IF its on YOUR property, you'll wait til hell freezes over before any municipality comes onto YOUR property to repair YOUR pipe :yes: UNLESS its a feeder/main & there's either an easement allowing aforementioned municipality access as THEY own it

then again, i don't live where ron does :whistling2:

#8 · (Edited)
Better explained here..

http://www.preciselocate.com/faqs/

Everyone needs a private locator. The State 1-Call system doesn’t get it all. It is the law to call before you dig, but calling the NC 1 call, Miss Utility Virginia, or any state utility locating service is not only call you need to make. On most properties, such as colleges, hospitals, and industrial sites, there are many more utilities owned by the property than public utilities. At every residence, there can be water and sewer lines, septic tanks and leach lines, multiple private utility lines, propane lines, or drinking water wells that WILL NOT BE LOCATED when the free service is notified. Should a line be overlooked, people can get hurt, serious outages or environmental issues can occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.