Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

overcharged for concrete garage slabs

General contractor has put in 2 garage pads with footings and the bill is quite high. We were referred to him & I'd gotten prices from the other gc's in the area so we knew approx how much it should be.
The concrete alone was a total of $9290 w/concrete, screed, mileage as the explanation. Concrete is $80 p/cubic yard.
24x24 is 1st pad 6inch thick 36inch footers, 30x40 2nd pad also 6inch thick 36inch footers total for the 2 pads was over 21K. The dirt work for the pads were done, he did do the excavating with his own equipment & used rebar/ties/stakes/lumber. I've contacted the concrete company since we did not receive the bill from them it was all billed through the gc, asking them for a copy of the bill to verify prices. But until I receive it, I'm just trying to get an opinion on if it is too high or if it's just me. We are rural midwest & I question if he's charging us more since we're from the "city" , I certainly know with these prices vs the others, he would have no work otherwise!
Anyone with experience or has had slab work done, please let me know!

Last edited by martin1791; 05-14-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

That is certainly a heavy duty slab from a thickness and footing standpoint. Those increase the excavating, compacted base and forming costs in addition to the amount of concrete needed. The concrete cost is certainly reasonable, especially if he used air-entrained and higher strength for durability. Around here all driveways 4" or so thick (sometimes 6", but no "footings") are over 4000 psi and air entrained and the concrete is more than $80.00/yard.

What kind of loads and guidelines were given to the contractor?

Dick

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,020

Can you explain the footers a little better,regarding dimensions?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
DIY or die !

Rewards Points: 75

yeah thats rediculous.... I did my entire garage pad, 9'' deep for 600 bucks.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

That is a lot of concrete almost 3000 cubic feet. They could have poured your 2 slabs almost 2ft thick. Those better be big footings to use that much concrete. If they used standard truck it would have taken more than 10 which is why it pays to supervise any work, you could at least have counted the trucks.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

What did your contract say?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #7

I saw the footings, they are about 1foot wide x 36inches deep and they were poured and allowed to set before he put the slab on. They run the entire 24x24 (576sq ft)& 30x40 (1200sq ft) outer edge of the pad. He is currently finishing our house pad, so I was advised to wait to confront him on the overcharges until he completed that because we are on a timeframe to get that done so everything else can fall in line. So I will be discussing this with him once that is complete. I just want to make sure I have all my "ducks in a row" before I do sit down with him.
We do not have a contract with him.

Last edited by martin1791; 05-14-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Your contract should have the dollar amounts already layed out. If you signed a contract with no $ amounts, that could be a problem. plus, are you sure the concrete he used was $80/yd.? I am also in the midwest and it's higher here.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

martin -

You may have some strange or problematic soils apparently you are doing a slab on grade construction to float the home.

Having work done wiithout a contract is always iffy.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 05-14-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1791 View Post
General contractor has put in 2 garage pads with footings and the bill is quite high. We were referred to him & I'd gotten prices from the other gc's in the area so we knew approx how much it should be.
The concrete alone was a total of $9290 w/concrete, screed, mileage as the explanation. Concrete is $80 p/cubic yard.
24x24 is 1st pad 6inch thick 36inch footers, 30x40 2nd pad also 6inch thick 36inch footers total for the 2 pads was over 21K. The dirt work for the pads were done, he did do the excavating with his own equipment & used rebar/ties/stakes/lumber. I've contacted the concrete company since we did not receive the bill from them it was all billed through the gc, asking them for a copy of the bill to verify prices. But until I receive it, I'm just trying to get an opinion on if it is too high or if it's just me. We are rural midwest & I question if he's charging us more since we're from the "city" , I certainly know with these prices vs the others, he would have no work otherwise!
Anyone with experience or has had slab work done, please let me know!
How come you weren't told what the price was BEFORE they started. Why did you let them do the work without knowing THEIR price first. Doesn't matter at all what prices you got from other contractors, you allowed the work to be done which you shouldn't have. Doesn't make any sense at all. You can't let someone do the job first and then when you get the bill you don't like the charges because you think they should be cheaper because you of the other prices.

What makes you think everyone's price is the same? Maybe it is high but the point is that YOU let the work be done without getting the price first, now you don't like the price. You can't come here on the internet and get ideas about pricing here and then go back to your contractor and tell him what information you received here. Doesn't work that way. You obviously don't have a signed contract form the GC with pricing. Is the GC licensed and insured?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Why not??? Now you come her and complain AFTER the work is done. So if someone here gives you false information about pricing or telling you he was to high, you're going to go back and tell the gc your not going to pay him what he charged you??
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

You agreed to have a contractor put in slab and footing with no contract? Did you have drawings and specifications? This seems very unusual, what is your basis to say he overcharged, since you had no contract he could charge you a million dollars for the work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
I saw the footings, they are about 1foot wide x 36inches deep and they were poured and allowed to set before he put the slab on. They run the entire 24x24 (576sq ft)& 30x40 (1200sq ft) outer edge of the pad. He is currently finishing our house pad, so I was advised to wait to confront him on the overcharges until he completed that because we are on a timeframe to get that done so everything else can fall in line. So I will be discussing this with him once that is complete. I just want to make sure I have all my "ducks in a row" before I do sit down with him.

According to your demensions you have 33 cu. yds. in the slabs $2640.00 and 26 cu. yds in the footings $2080.00 for a total of $4720.00,kinda late to be asking but why the heavy footings under the slabs??
Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #14

removed post information

Last edited by martin1791; 05-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1791
Do you have permits and inspections ?