Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Share |

Outside Tile over concrete

Ok so I'll add pics later about this, but on my front steps I want to use black 10x20" porcelain tiles to cover the ugly unsealed scaled concrete. What should I do? Thin-set - waterproof? - thin-set - radient heat pads (snow melting) - thin-set = tile.

I was advised against stone (although I want that) because adding a ton of stone may cause my steps/porch to heave and crack. Then the masons said they don't do tile installs outside because it's not worth their time.

Does anyone have any advice, with or without radient heat pads.

I live in the Kansas City area, so Central Midwest. We get 100 degree summer days and -10 degree winter days. What thin-set will survive these freeze thaw cycles?

rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

OK no one has any idea? Has anyone ever laid tile outside? What did you do? How did it hold up?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

If you want to use tile, Use abrasive tile or quarry tile.

As far as thinset, use Mapi-Kerelastic

Or ultraflex 2 with a latex additive.

You can also use stone without ANY worries. A little more weight is not gonna make the difference. GL

"REAL advice from a REAL mofo'in contractor"
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

@Truepro - thank you for the response! Are you sure 800-1200lbs of stone won't effect the concrete? I'll post pictures if that will help.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Electric Radiant Heating

If you do use an electric snow melting system, the element can attach directly to the concrete you have and have it sit in the mortar for whatever type of surface you use over it.

One suggestion instead of tile, look at bluestone slabs. They are designed for doing what you want to do. You will have to slot the rise to get the element to sit inside or cover the rise as well. Just be sure to have that short run of element embedded in some kind of mortar, thinset, etc...

The system should also be connected to a GFEP (30ma trip) protected circuit. You should also have some kind of activation device. Circuit breakers were not designed to be switches.

If you do go with a tile, be sure it rated for outside use.
warmsmeallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelranger View Post
Ok so I'll add pics later about this, but on my front steps I want to use black 10x20" porcelain tiles to cover the ugly unsealed scaled concrete. What should I do? Thin-set - waterproof? - thin-set - radient heat pads (snow melting) - thin-set = tile.

I was advised against stone (although I want that) because adding a ton of stone may cause my steps/porch to heave and crack. Then the masons said they don't do tile installs outside because it's not worth their time.

Does anyone have any advice, with or without radient heat pads.

I live in the Kansas City area, so Central Midwest. We get 100 degree summer days and -10 degree winter days. What thin-set will survive these freeze thaw cycles?

What you want to do will not work over scaled concrete,save your money.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Yes the activation device will be the thermostat switch that comes with the heating element. Thank you for the outlet I'll need! So you don't think I'll need a waterproofing membrane?

@Carnaywood - why won't it work? I understand there will be a couple places that don't get perfect adhesion but it isn't really back scaling just a few spots here and there. Do you recommend complete demo and new install?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelranger View Post
Yes the activation device will be the thermostat switch that comes with the heating element. Thank you for the outlet I'll need! So you don't think I'll need a waterproofing membrane?

@Carnaywood - why won't it work? I understand there will be a couple places that don't get perfect adhesion but it isn't really back scaling just a few spots here and there. Do you recommend complete demo and new install?
Best thing to do is demo and start over,otherwise you'll be throwing good money after bad.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #9

@Canary -- Are you a professional? Do you have any experience?

Tags
outdoor, porch, steps, thinset, tile