Opening A Firebox For An Insert.. - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

opening a firebox for an insert..

sorry if this sounds absurd but i found a really nice insert with all the stainless and cap etc..never used for a really good price however, its a 41" insert and my fireplace im wanting to put it in is only like 33. I am planning on taking down the brick on face of it anyway as i dont like the crazy design and its got tons of heavy paint on it. i guess im asking is, is this nuts and will i run into structural damage?

Advertisement

yankcrime74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

It's almost impossible to know without seeing it if the insert will work or not, but the brick veneer should be just that, veneer. You should be able to take it down without issues, but the only way to know for sure is to check in the attic to make sure the brick ends at the ceiling. If the brick supports veneer above on the chimney, you may need to be more careful........

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 29

Thank you very much for the reply yes I know it's difficult to guess without seeing it and I suspect it can't be done because everything behind the veneer flush with the Veneer on the right and left and I'm assuming taking too much of that out would become a structural issue
yankcrime74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

I am in the process of working on this so I can answer your Q's with more Q's:

Are you talking about a gas insert or a gas fireplace? What is the opening of your current firebox? Download the instruction for the potential new insert - what size opening does it need? Are the exhaust and intake on top or in back?

I am buying a gas insert that is a tiny bit too big for my opening, but i am building a bump out so only 2/3 of it will be in the firebox. I am not going to even start building the bumpout until i have the new insert sitting right there.

Many variables, many code issues.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote