One Piece Blue Stone Hearth And Firebox Floor - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

One piece blue stone hearth and firebox floor

I am redoing the fireplace in a 1917 colonial house. The thought is to reuse the beautiful original wood mantle, veneer the fireplace surround and rebuild the firebox. Our thought is to use 2" blue stone for the hearth which projects out from the surface of the wall about 10" (which is currently flush with the floor) which raises it up by 2". I am thinking of extending this piece of blue stone into the firebox itself to create one seamless piece.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement

EJmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJmachine View Post
I am redoing the fireplace in a 1917 colonial house. The thought is to reuse the beautiful original wood mantle, veneer the fireplace surround and rebuild the firebox. Our thought is to use 2" blue stone for the hearth which projects out from the surface of the wall about 10" (which is currently flush with the floor) which raises it up by 2". I am thinking of extending this piece of blue stone into the firebox itself to create one seamless piece.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Saw this exact approach on an episode of "This Old House" a year or so ago and I think it may even have been bluestone. It looked fabulous. You might see if you can search for the episode. The stone itself was from the landscape of the property and home they were working on.

They actually used the natural free form shape of the sliced stone for the front edge and made an accurate paper template for the inset into the fireplace---as if it were a countertop. I forget how and where they had it cut. I remember weight and moving the thing around were obvious issues and want to remember it was trimmed on site but memory is not what it used to be.

Let us know what you find?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I already made a paper template and then traced it out on a piece of wood that is sitting in the fireplace now as I contemplate what to do next.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the info.
EJmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

I wouldn't use the bluestone as the floor of the firebox if you intend to burn wood inside of the fireplace. If just for a gas log set, you would probably be fine, but an intense wood fire will destroy the bluestone in no time, as it will create small "explosions" when subjected to high temps. As a matter of fact, it's not uncommon to saw the exposed edges of bluestone and then "flame" the edges with a torch to create a natural cleft appearance, as it's likely one of the easiest stones to "flame".....
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote