Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #1

Share |

Non slip weatherproofing for concrete?

These are some of the stepping stones in our outdoor shower. (They'll be surrounded by some nice white rocks when it's done.

I asked the mason for ideas on how to make them non-slip, but I was so busy I forgot to follow up. Turns out his solution was to not seal them at all. Great for non slip but I am worried about how near constant rain (in the monsoon season for example) will affect the unsealed concrete.

Any ideas? Am I worrying about nothing or will my little steps be destroyed in a year?

Lanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #2

not sealing them makes sense to me,,, just worry about moss/algae IF the sun doesn't get to them,,, IF it doesn't, a light clorox-laced rinse will resolve that issue,,, i imagine those steps will still be serviceable when you're dead so worry about something else - like hillary becoming our next pres

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #3

Is the area where that shower is uncovered?
Where does that drain run to?
My concern is all that water filling your septic system or catch basin.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #4

joe always worries
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

And with good reason.
I used to work for a so called contractor that used to do every single job wrong and saw what happens.
One customer wanted an outside shower with a sky light in the roof. He convinced them to just make an open hole in the roof instead, because according to him all sky lights leak.
First rain storm the septic system failed because all the leach lines could not drain fast enough.
All his sky lights leaked because he was to cheap to buy the flashing kit and made his own. He started the flashing at the top and worked his way down and only had 2" of flange on the roof.
He also used copper pipes for the supply's exposed on an outside wall with no drains and no shut offs inside the house so the first time we had a cold spell they burst and flooded the inside of the house.
He made me use rolled roofing on the new roof that he had laying around his house laying on it's side for years out in his yard. As I rolled it out it all cracked and wrinkled up. He had me install it anyway and use tar to cover all the cracks.
All this on a brand new addition.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is the area where that shower is uncovered?
Where does that drain run to?
My concern is all that water filling your septic system or catch basin.
Worry, please! nobody here seems to, ever. The shower is about 1/4 covered by a small roof. The exposed area is probably 3 feet by 15 feet. We have two underground tanks, one is septic and the other is for grey water- that's where the shower water will drain to. I assume this is the catch basin? That's a really good point of rainwater overwhelming the system, monsoon rains here are no joke.

We talked about adding another tank for the roof drains to fill up for use in the dry season (we've got 2 acres of fruit trees to water). Would you suggest connecting the drains in the outdoor shower to that?

Last edited by Lanka; 07-31-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
not sealing them makes sense to me,,, just worry about moss/algae IF the sun doesn't get to them,,, IF it doesn't, a light clorox-laced rinse will resolve that issue,,, i imagine those steps will still be serviceable when you're dead so worry about something else - like hillary becoming our next pres
Hey, if Hilary's the next pres, I just might consider moving back to the US!
There actually is a decent amount of sunlight hitting the area, but I will keep Clorox on hand for the rainy season. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #8

No one here knows where you live since you did not add your location to your profile so it's hard to say what your local regulations may be.
Reusing gray water in some areas is against the law and you can get fined.
Other areas you can get fined for not doing it.
The problem is with the soaps used to get clean containing phosphates that can get into the water supply's which can cause algae blooms.
Might want to Google something like "reusing "gray water" for some ideas.