Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

new hole for dryer vent in cinder blocks

I'd like to move the exhaust vent for my gas dryer. I'd like to make a new hole in my basement wall and patch up the old hole. The basement walls are cinder blocks from 1966. Currently the dryer exhausts right under my sliding door and under my soon to be deck. I'd like to point it out the side of the house.

To vent out the side wall, the hole out would have to be in the first block from the corner. Any further in from the corner is blocked by HVAC ducts. I'd also still like the exhaust to be some what behind the dryer, as I don't want to change the orientation of the dryer.

Is there a problem with cutting a hole in the corner block? Will it some how affect the structural integrity of the wall? Last thing I need is the house coming down on me.

Please see the pictures below. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for reading and your help.
Attached Thumbnails
new hole for dryer vent in cinder blocks-pica.jpg   new hole for dryer vent in cinder blocks-picb.jpg   new hole for dryer vent in cinder blocks-picc.jpg  

jobblyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

I would not place it that close to the a/c unit. I would go higher up to the ledger above the cinderblock, than go through the block.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

The hole in the corner shouldn't be a problem, and if you honestly had to worry about a 4" hole there causing your house to come down, I'd worry a lot about being there!.
If you can cut the hole out that's best, rather than trying to break it out with a chisel.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the replies. That AC unit is old, seldom used, and will be replaced sooner than later. I feel it's too close to the house to begin with, but it was here long before I was.

The rim joist is a 2 x 10. My understanding is a hole cannot be larger in diameter than 1/3 the size of the joist. For a 2 x 10 I figure that's 3-5/32". A dryer vent is 4", so it's my understanding the hole would be too big. Perhaps that would bring the house down!?

I like the idea of cutting a hole best, I tend to butcher with chisels. Might be best to hire that out to somebody with a large bit than buy one...
jobblyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobblyman View Post
Thanks for the replies. That AC unit is old, seldom used, and will be replaced sooner than later. I feel it's too close to the house to begin with, but it was here long before I was.

The rim joist is a 2 x 10. My understanding is a hole cannot be larger in diameter than 1/3 the size of the joist. For a 2 x 10 I figure that's 3-5/32". A dryer vent is 4", so it's my understanding the hole would be too big. Perhaps that would bring the house down!?

I like the idea of cutting a hole best, I tend to butcher with chisels. Might be best to hire that out to somebody with a large bit than buy one...
The rim joist is resting fully supported on that block wall, no? the risk of over cutting a JOIST concerns those freespanning across the room, and you don't want to cut the bottoms of those in any way either, but the rim joist if it's supported on the block wall is different.

Keep in mind it takes a lot more than a 4" hole in the wall to "bring a house down"!
This reminds me of a woman who bought several sculptures from me, then afetr she got them she emailed that she thought they were too heavy for her wall so she gave them to a friend for her garden.

I had to write back that the weight of a wall and it's strength is far greater than she thinks, and that a 40# sculpture is NOT going to be too heavy for the wall, the wall holds the roof, snow and more up, 40# is nothing it's another sheet of sheetrock in weight.

Cutting/drilling is better than pounding on the block with a hammer and chisel- that tends to crack the block and can loosen it.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-30-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,134

why are we talking rim joist when the hole's thru block ? what'd i miss ?

try a 5/8" bit w/bulldog class hammer drill - cheap to rent compared to conc cutter's min charge
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
why are we talking rim joist when the hole's thru block ? what'd i miss ?
Someone suggested going higher up to avoid having to go thru concrete, to which the OP said:

Quote:
The rim joist is a 2 x 10. My understanding is a hole cannot be larger in...
Can't always do that without a bunch of elbows to get the vent up in that area under the floor, or using flex vent hose.

Quote:
try a 5/8" bit w/bulldog class hammer drill - cheap to rent compared to conc cutter's min charge
Here's all he needs since he is only drilling the one hole thru the block one time, and his vent is sheet metal so a 4" bit should work: $16.99 at Lowes, there's better bits but since this is aone-time job why spend $80 on a better bit.

Kobalt Carbide-Grit Hole Saw Kit
Item #: 322704 | Model #: 9228
Cuts Granite/Masonry Yes
4" HoleSaw, Mandrel and Pilot Bit.

Can get the next larger size to be sure, 4-1/8" maybe available, but for under $20 there's a holesaw to do the hole.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-30-2013 at 08:30 AM.