DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New garage floor is chipping and dissolves easily.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gregzoll 
#1 ·
Why is my new cement garage floor chipping and easily dissolves in those holes? Here's the facts: The house and 3-car garage was built in an extremely cold winter. The following winter was cold with lots of snow and last winter was very mild. The garage floor cracked in the middle of the floor in two long crossing lines as the Contractor indicated it may but will stay in those two crossing lines. Is it normal for new concrete floors to crack like this? Also, there are pit chips the size of a dime and a quarter. These pits easily crack away causing larger holes to develop with seemingly loose sand mixture as I clean out the holes? What is happening? I call the Contractor and he saids that is normal and caused from salt drips. If that is the case, our floor will be chipped away in no time! It is happening at the edge of the back end of our vehicles and near the garage door. I am meeting with our Contractor....should I again bring up the concrete problem and how should it be corrected? Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.