Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New driveway rough strips between smooth areas

I had a driveway poured by a contractor three and four weeks ago, and then had a third and fourth pour for sidewalks and wheelchair access ramps to the sidewalks.

The sidewalks are smooth, though one section developed three hairline cracks - the contractor is having a sample analyzed and expects to go back to the cement mixer for that section.

The access ramps have a good broom finish and look good.

The driveways, however, have alternating strips that are mostly smooth with rough strips in between. The contractor claimed he could work the concrete too much because he wanted a rough finish. I've never heard of that method of finishing before so I'd like to find out if it's an acceptable method, or if this may cause issues in the future. I expect to keep this house for generations.

I've attached several pictures and can post more if you need. I can provide links to higher resolution photos if needed.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
New driveway rough strips between smooth areas-2012-10-11-13.46.47.jpg   New driveway rough strips between smooth areas-2012-10-11-13.46.49.jpg   New driveway rough strips between smooth areas-2012-10-11-13.46.51.jpg   New driveway rough strips between smooth areas-2012-10-11-13.46.53.jpg   New driveway rough strips between smooth areas-2012-10-11-13.46.54.jpg  

Smoldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #2

Anybody?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Looks like they had no idea on what to do
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pwgsx For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks, pwgsx.

Any idea what I should have them do from here? Tear it up, coat it, etc.?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Tear that up unless you can live with it. Maybe they can refund some $??? My 12x16 shed foundation looks better than that and my dad and I trucked 50+ loads of concrete up a hill to the site and then did the top work and it looks great. The pics you show looks like they were trying to smooth it way late or had too much water or something. Good Luck!!
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Looks like a bull float finish that sat too long before the broom. They should have a better system in place if they're trying to get a courser broom finish, like say, a COURSER broom...............

So, the contractor claims he wanted a rougher finish, yet you say the finish is mostly smooth. IMPO, the only option is to replace the concrete, as he simply let the concrete get away for whatever reason. This conversation generally never goes well with a contractor, unless they've already offered to remedy the situation correctly. He's probably going to tell you: "I can just coat it with snake-oil product xyz", "I don't think it looks any different than any other concrete", "It's only asthetic, and the concrete is just as hard underneath", "It will look better when it fully cures (translation: I'll feel better about this situation after you pay me in full and then I can move on with life & quit responding to your phone calls), yada, yada, yada..........

Good luck, most of these situations "go South" quick considering the amount of labor & material it takes to fix the job the right way........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,124

Did you check out the contractor and references regarding previous jobs or was it just a price/availability situation with loose specifications/expectations?

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
driveway rough strips