Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

new concrete patio?

so I am starting grading for a new concrete patio at the back of our house and have some questions. I will be holding the elevation level at the house and have 1/4" a foot fall (maximum)away from the house towards the yard for drainage. since the house line isn't a straight line I have diferent distances at the edge of the patio meaning I have diferent elevations. do I factor the longest run and the shortest run and do something happy in the middle? I don't want too much fall or not enough and unfortunately the table are is in the middle area...... should I add cross slope from right to left to try to follow the grade a bit or leave this flat and deal with the step at the yard?
Attached Thumbnails
new concrete patio?-patio-sketch.jpg  

gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

new concrete patio?

Let's try this:

Name:  patio sketch.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  13.7 KB

Red line is zero height, or in other words, the highest point of the patio.

The yellow line is 1.25" lower than the red line.

The green line is 5.25" lower than the red line.

The blue line is 7.75" lower than the red line.

It's hard to comment on how to follow the grade w/o having actual existing heights, but it's typically best to make the patio correct and fill the soil in as necessary.

If you're pouring the patio yourself, I'd suggest 1/4" per foot as a minimum, or you may have to live with a few "duck ponds" on the patio. Many people will tell you it's too steep for a patio, but the reality is it takes a trained eye to even pick up on that little pitch.......

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
gwilkrrs (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

new concrete patio?

I can see where that would work but in this example its more complicated.
the door at the green line is grade of the top of slab. the yellow and blue lines are to be the same height of grade and this works out perfect for the transition to the raised slab for entry into the other door.
house grade is level and yard side is to be lower then house side(fall)
complicated but I think it just needs to be floated in between the hard math.....
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote