Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |
Question

New Chimney leaking into Attic

I have a new construction and we were just about to insulate and drywall when we were hit by a heavy rain storm. Up to this point we had many different rain days with no problems, but this was the first wind driven rain.

The bricks coming thru from the outside to the inside were saturated and I could see the water dripping on the left. It was dripping from the piece of typar hanging down.

The exterior of the house and the chimney are all brick. The roofer came out while it was still dripping and said he would come back when it had dried up to see what was going on, but said the bricks are new so they are probably just getting their first soak. This doesn't make sense to me.

The Quadrafire installer came out and completely checked the cap and no signs of leaking there. The lightening rods are sealed and not leaking. The wood inside the chase is not wet.

I've been reading contractortalk forums for the last few hours and am concerned because I've read that extended wind driven rain can penetrate the brick, allowing water to run down the inside of the brick. If this is the case, no amount of flashing will help keep rain from running into the attic.

My carpenter thinks it is a flashing issue and from what I've read on contractor talk, I'm thinking it is too. However, I'm not expert so hope someone on here can help me. Is this a construction issue, flashing issue or masonry issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far everyone is trying to blame everyone else and I don't care whose fault it is, I just want it fixed!

I have posted photos for you to see the situation. If any additional photos are needed, let me know and I can take what you need with the exception of on the roof itself. I'm too chicken to get up there!
Attached Thumbnails
New Chimney leaking into Attic-inside.jpg  
Attached Images

sara222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #2

The most important pictures would be of the outside where the chimney meet the roof.
The picture of the inside where it's showing there's a leak are useless.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Well I've been told the flashing in the back against the cricket is the same as what is on the side, which I attached a photo of that. It's not a close up though, so I'll have to get someone to go up there and take photos for me. Then I'll post them.

Is it normal practice to have the bricks come into the attic space like that?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Mod

Instead of sending someone up there with a camera send someone up with a hose and figure out where it's leaking from. Where's the GC?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #5

Original GC moved on - mutual agreement - he was busy with other homes and didn't have time to concentrate on mine. Most of remaining work was sub-contractors so my husband and I have taken over GC role. Mainly me really because he is working full time.

I will get the roofer to come out and do a hose test. I'm just not confident that they will fix it properly since they were the same ones that did my parent's house and theirs is leaking in the same exact place. We both had same framing GC also, so I wasn't sure if it was a build or roofing issue. We both had different masons so I don't think that is the problem.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Mod

Looking closer at your first picture I'd almost bet it's a cricket flashing/valley issue. I really doubt this has anything to do with the masonry, it's a roofing problem.

Don't cover anything up until you're 100% sure this is resolved but I'm sure you know that.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Looking closer at your first picture I'd almost bet it's a cricket flashing/valley issue. I really doubt this has anything to do with the masonry, it's a roofing problem.

Don't cover anything up until you're 100% sure this is resolved but I'm sure you know that.

Yep i'm thinking flashing also. I sure hope your not getting in over your head playing GC on this house.

Ps. I would get another independent roofer to come out and evaluate your situation.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

We had a job a few years back where the brick became saturated and water infiltrated. I think they went out and sealed the brick with a pump sprayer in the areas where it penetrated the house. In our case it was at a metal bay roof intersection. We were told that the sealer should be reapplied every few years.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #9

If you live in a 4 season area,it may not be a good idea to use a sealer on it,use a water reppellant instead to avoid trapping water in the brick,which can freeze and expand and cause more trouble than you need.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for the advice. It gives me confidence to have the roofer check/redo cricket and flashing. I will also get another roofer to evaluate and we are not going to seal anything up on that part of the house until it is bone dry! I have to start sealing up the rest of the house - cooler temperatures are approaching.

As far as the GC work, I have alot of contacts for subs, but we are in a rural area where I had the "best" GC and things could have been better. I'm trying out a carpenter right now that is a Class A and a GC, but I'll see how we get on with the porches he is putting on before I have him do more. I definitely could not do this without the internet and helpful forums!

As for the sealer on the masonry, my parents tried that. They had a different mason come out and he re-pointed some areas that looked like the mortar was not mixed well (bottom of the bucket - too much sand) and then he sprayed it with ChimneySaver. It helped, but it's still leaking with wind driven rain.

I'll post more info/photos as I get them.

Thank you!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

We are in central VA. I have no sealer on my bricks. A mason came and put ChimneySaver VOC Compliant Solvent-Base Water Repellent just on the back of the chimney from the roof line to the top. He said it would still let the brick breath.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #12

I just re-read my last post. I was referring to my parent's having the ChimneySaver on their brick chimney and it's still leaking. I have nothing on mine.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
Shut in w/o Home

OK.

1st, what you have there is technically a CHASE rather than a chimney. It is a wooden structure with a brick veneer and a metal flue inside rather than a full masonry structure. On the back side, the brick veneer sits on something. Hopefully it's on a steel lintel, but often a wood header is used and sometimes the brick is laid directly on the roof.

The problem you're having is that the brick becomes saturated and water moves downward through the cores until it gets to what ever the brick is sitting on and drips into the house. There should have been some sort of through flashing installed at initial construction to force that water back to the surface. A good mason can retro this fairly easily. Applying a good sealer may work temporarily, but it will need to be re-applied periodically.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
747 (10-09-2013), oh'mike (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
We had a job a few years back where the brick became saturated and water infiltrated. I think they went out and sealed the brick with a pump sprayer in the areas where it penetrated the house. In our case it was at a metal bay roof intersection. We were told that the sealer should be reapplied every few years.
I doubt it was a sealer. Most likely was a water repellent. Water repellent vs. Brick sealer is a big big huge difference. I would not take the advice of applying any type of sealer on the brick. That may trap any moisture behind the brick and cause further problems. What you want to do is apply a water repellent...not a sealer.

Prosoco makes many different products for this purpose.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #15

http://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Wo...mney_Chase.htm