Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #1

Share |

new block wall, mortar missing from a few places?

Wall is up but there are a few places at the first run at the walkway level were there seems to be mortar missing between the blocks. I called the contractor he said that's for drainage??? Any harm with filling them? I have the left over bag of spec mix mortar, sitting the the garage. Could I mix up a small amount and push it into these areas?

thanks!

Last edited by titan7; 09-09-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added pics
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
cheif outhouse engineer

If the holes are indeed for drainage, then you can do serious long term damage by filling the holes. Retaining water is bad news no matter if your a person or a building.

Post a pic to help determine if the holes are intentional or just sloppy workmanship.

dakzaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

If those are weep holes NO!!!!! Do not fill. Do a search on weep holes and read about their purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
new block wall, mortar missing from a few places?-weep-holes-800x600-600x450.jpg  
Attached Images

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

okay I took some pics today. There are some places on the decline of my driveway where there is no way the water will get backed up as it will flow down the drive way can I fill those areas or should I just leave them?

On a side note, what's the best way to attach my gate to the new wall? You can see the old gate that attaches to the house the other half used to attach to a redwood fence. The cells of the wall are fully grouted, I was thinking attaching a 4x4 to the inside edge of the wall so I can put up a new gate? It will be the same height as the block wall.

As for anchors, I think the simpson epoxy mesh anchors would be best? I was thinking of embedding a couple 1/2" threaded bolts in the wall so I could have the nut on the outside in case I needed to replace the 4x4?? Any other ideas??

thanks!

titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

I would leave them open, especially with the planter in the middle, which will undoubtedly bring uneccesary water behind the wall. As for the gate, your idea with teh 4x4 and epoxy sounds like it will work fine.........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote