Need A Weight Bearing Front Porch - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
"I Got This" Man

Rewards Points: 16

Need a Weight Bearing Front Porch

I have a front porch that needs built that supports two beams for my overhang. The idiot that I bought the house from had the beams sitting on an extremely poorly done paver job and the overhang is starting to sag. I would like to do it myself so I can learn in the process but have no clue as to the specifics.

The dimension will be 6 x 8 and I live in Austin, AR (no frostline issues that I know of). Basically, if anyone can point me in the right direction with info from start to finish, or a resource that I can access to read up on concrete work, it would be greatly appreciated. If this sounds like a big job best suited for a contractor please feel free to point that out as well. However, there is nothing that I won't try to do myself if it is possible to do so. I can upload pics as well if it helps.

Advertisement

F150MSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,552

Without pictures no one can do anything but guess.

"I have a front porch that needs built that supports two beams for my overhang"
Not even sure what that means.
Any supports needed to be sitting on footings, not just on patio blocks.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 3,870

Find out what your local codes are, regarding Decks and porches. They may require a buried footing where the columns will attach to the decking. Also most likely will require two sistered 2x8's or 2x10's at where the columns are.

Lowe's and Home Depot have deck & porch design kiosks. Just draw one up, and take to your county or city code office to get them to sign off on your plan. They will also tell you about footing depth, etc..
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
"I Got This" Man

Rewards Points: 16

Thank you for the advice. Sorry so late to the response also. I got a last minute tasking and had to jet out of town....military life I will check with the code folks and get the skinny. Thank you again.
F150MSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 638

Take a picture of what you have now, so we can better advise what you need to do.