Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |

Need some ideas for how to frame this form for concrete porch

Ok, the customer wants this brick porch completely removed and a new concrete porch (and steps) replaced. My question is... should i do the porch first and come back to do the steps? Any pointers on framing this up? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need some ideas for how to frame this form for concrete porch-wp_000400.jpg  
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEPRO View Post
Ok, the customer wants this brick porch completely removed and a new concrete porch (and steps) replaced. My question is... should i do the porch first and come back to do the steps? Any pointers on framing this up? Thanks

It should be done as a monolithic pour.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

So all as one pour? Porch section and steps at once?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
It should be done as a monolithic pour.
Yup. Order the concrete at no more than a 4" slump so it doesn't ooze out of the steps. I'm too stupid to draw a picture of how it should be formed, but only the top of the porch and the top of the steps should be showing, if that makes sense.

I'd probably get some accelerator in the concrete too, so you can bust the forms down and finish the sides as nicely as the tops.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
TRUEPRO (05-24-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

And be sure and order the concrete air entrained,might even order it at a 3 inch slump and start from the bottom up,pour the risers about half full so they have some time to set, then do the porch,come back and finish filling the risers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
TRUEPRO (05-24-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

I would pour it all at the same time as well, but you need to verify one thing first: Do teh steps currently have frost wall under them as well as the wall? If not, you need expansion material between the two. It's not the easiest thing to accomplish, "dangling" felt in mid air between the two pours, but if you're creative it's not that hard to figure out........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Well ill will be using the original footer from the brick which is below the frost line. Your saying i will need expansion between the new pour and the footer?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #8

Also, i wanted to use a form liner to give the riser texture but apparently they have to be special ordered from the the company (proline) and im looking at around 600 for three 8' pieces.

Any ideas on how i can line the riser form to texture the riser wall w/o spending 600 on the textured liners?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #9

[quote=TRUEPRO;927845]Also, i wanted to use a form liner to give the riser texture but apparently they have to be special ordered from the the company (proline) and im looking at around 600 for three 8' pieces.

Any ideas on how i can line the riser form to texture the riser wall w/o spending 600 on the textured liners?[/quote

It's the way they do it now,use to be they stamped it,but that's long gone.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Well ill will be using the original footer from the brick which is below the frost line. Your saying i will need expansion between the new pour and the footer?
What I'm getting at is as long as the steps and stoop share the same foundation, it will be simple.

I would form the stoop & steps together with 2X material and even line with a smoother plywood if you're concerned about running out of time to strip & finish the faces. It takes some forethought when finishing steps, but a decent concrete mix, coupled with a liberal coating of oil/release agent and having perfect timing are all keys to making it work out well.

Quote:
Also, i wanted to use a form liner to give the riser texture but apparently they have to be special ordered from the the company (proline) and im looking at around 600 for three 8' pieces.

Any ideas on how i can line the riser form to texture the riser wall w/o spending 600 on the textured liners?
Do you mean a heavy rock-faced stone texture like this?:

http://www.bontool.com/product1.asp?P=STEPLINERFORM

Or just a simple "Stegmier" liner like this?:

http://www.bontool.com/product1.asp?P=STEPLINERS
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
What I'm getting at is as long as the steps and stoop share the same foundation, it will be simple.

I would form the stoop & steps together with 2X material and even line with a smoother plywood if you're concerned about running out of time to strip & finish the faces. It takes some forethought when finishing steps, but a decent concrete mix, coupled with a liberal coating of oil/release agent and having perfect timing are all keys to making it work out well.

Do you mean a heavy rock-faced stone texture like this?:

http://www.bontool.com/product1.asp?P=STEPLINERFORM

Or just a simple "Stegmier" liner like this?:

http://www.bontool.com/product1.asp?P=STEPLINERS
Yes like the first one. This customer would be so thrilled if i added the textured face at no extra cost. Guess im dreaming..these liners are quite pricey and i heard from one company that they have to be custom made when there ordered. I almost want to use styrofoam like if i was doing some cantilever coping for a pool deck.

Last edited by TRUEPRO; 05-24-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #12

You may want to add a Bond break between the house and your pour.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenworks View Post
You may want to add a Bond break between the house and your pour.

Your referring to expansion joint material?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #14

Also i have never put a high gloss sealer on a broom finish. The sealer wont effect the anti slip will it? It kinda seems that it would tho...?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Yes like the first one. This customer would be so thrilled if i added the textured face at no extra cost. Guess im dreaming..these liners are quite pricey and i heard from one company that they have to be custom made when there ordered. I almost want to use styrofoam like if i was doing some cantilever coping for a pool deck.
The only "stryo" pool coping liner I can think of, or have ever seen, is just like the liners in the second link I provided. The same company actually has the same profiles in a shorter version that are very bendable and work great for a pool, you just need to dig a bit on their site.

Quote:
Also i have never put a high gloss sealer on a broom finish. The sealer wont effect the anti slip will it? It kinda seems that it would tho...?
I've done it with reservation, mostly because it looks strange on a standard broomed finish IMO. It can certainly make the surface a little more slippery, mostly because the water has to dry to the air on it's own rather than soak into the concrete rapidly. It leaves beaded water on the surface longer. You can overcome this rather simply by using a traction additive in the sealer ("Shark-Grip", Sure-Step", etc...). We us the additive in every stamped concrete project we do for safety with little or no negatives...........