Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Share |

Need feedback on parking lot I am doing.

First off, thanks for letting me be here. Been lurking for a while, but know I really have some serious questions I can't find on google.

I have a huge parking lot at my business, enough for about 200 cars (all asphalt), The entrance is absolutely pulverized with potholes, so there is an area of about 1100 square feet i am excavating and redoing with concrete (reinforced 6" slab, 4,000 psi, with key joints every ten ft.

My question is on the keyed joints. I just poured 400 sq ft yesterday, and I used the keyed joints to screed on top with a 2x4. I used a bull float the trowel and finish broom. Now, about the keyed joints. They are covered up by like 1/16" of concrete +\- , I knew that before hand. I was also told before I did it, that there are zip strips that you put on top the joints and when it dries you pull them up and caulk the joints. But I could not find these zip strips ANYWHERE. so I just screeded over them. Today there is hair line cracks (like I would expect) all along the keyed joints.

Do I do anything? Should I chip them out and fill them? Get a pressure washer and expose the top of the steel? Just leave it alone?

Did I do the whole thing wrong?

Thanks ahead of time for any help I can find. Because apparently no one I can find can answer these questions.

Dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

Anyone? Going to chip up the top with a small chipping hammer and caulk it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #3

keyed slabs or formed/saw'd jnts ? what're you building - a runway ? i'd leave 'em as is UNLESS you're extremely worried about appearance,,, however, IF you decide to do the work, use a joint sealant, not caulk prep the jnt sidewalls properly & seal away,,, NO 3-sided adhesion worries BUT be sure the sealant adheres to the jnt sidewalls

we'd use either sika self-leveling polyurethane ( apron/vest store ) OR self-leveling silicone ( dow-corning 888sl - const supply house ) good luck

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Next time use an edging tool next to the key form so you have a strong, dense, rounded edge that will wear better and need no work after the pour is complete. You can get edgers down to 1/4" radius (maybe even 1/8") if you want it to look more like a sawed joint to match the rest........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

It's really no big deal. I just wanted to know if I did it wrong and if it was ruined. Talked to a guy that does this for a living in the plants (they use zip strips). He said get a chipping hammer (like a welder uses), clean it out and caulk it (when I say caulk I really mean joint sealant for concrete joints). It's going to crack up regardless. It's like 1/16" of mostly cream covering the top of they key joint.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Bump. I still haven't done anything. Figured I'd leave it, but after the slab dried, I have long cracks right over the key joints the whole way over all 4. I screeded on top the joints, I can't imagine it's more then 1/8-1/16 of an inch on top the joint. But I don't want water getting down there.

Should I just get my grinder with a diamond blade, cut some lines and seal it? Just get a chipping hammer and break all the weak point and seal?

What would you do? Just leave it?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Concrete forum.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #8

' still haven't done anything ' is what you should've done - nothing,,, the zip will prevent most of occasional water from penetrating,,, IF you're really worried, pull off the ' zip ' part & seal,,, shouldn't be any reason to use chipping gun OR diamond blade

' long cracks right over the key joints the whole way over all 4 is what shouldda happened so you got that part 'xactly right

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
' still haven't done anything ' is what you should've done - nothing,,, the zip will prevent most of occasional water from penetrating,,, IF you're really worried, pull off the ' zip ' part & seal,,, shouldn't be any reason to use chipping gun OR diamond blade

' long cracks right over the key joints the whole way over all 4 is what shouldda happened so you got that part 'xactly right
Thanks for the reply. I feel better about it now. There was no zip strip on top of these particular joints, and everywhere I asked said they didn't have them. Trying to make it look better would probably make it worse then. Thanks for the input. I'll leave it alone.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

sounds as if ' they ' used the swimming pool style strips,,, think those were invented 'cause pool people are, largely, ignorant about conc you'll find traffic will wear away the paste on top of the strips exposing the white pvc to view so everything should look fine,,, just curious - did you ask @ a pro const supply house who specializes in hgwy stuff