Name This Block.... - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Name this block....

Is there such an animal as this?

Name this block....-cmu.jpg

I thought it was a Bond Beam CMU but it has cells straight through for grouting. I was planning on using it for my top course, but not if it doesn't exist.

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 764

Name this block....

I will name it...George.

Advertisement

mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,572

Name this block....

A trough or channel block.

http://armyengineer.tpub.com/en5157a/en5157a0020.htm

CplDevilDog (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Name this block....

Ah yes, there it is hiding in the corner.

So a Lintel Block is a solid channel with no holes in the bottom, used only for vertical reinforcement.

While a Channel or Trough block is used to make a Bond Beam when both Vertical and Horizontal reinforcement is desired?

So I would be correct in using this for the top course of a pond wall that will have vertical rods and pours as well as a Bond Beam encircling the top course?

Thanks

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

Name this block....

The names for that block and most others vary depending on the area.

As with most block, there are no real standards for names or dimensions, except all block must meet the ASTM minimums for dimensions. Even with that, most block dimensions exceed the ASTM minimums. I worked for company that supplied mold and we had over 1000 variations on file for just the "standard" 8" mold configurations.

Common names for that block in many different markets might be "pour through bond beam" or a "knock out bond beam" where the upper portions of the webs can be knocked out as desired since it can serve 2 different details. These are frequently available in a 2 core configuration (both flush ends and open ends), in a double "H" with open ends and one center core, and in a unit with no central cores and only end half cores with a recessed center web. It is unlikely you find a 3 core version since most block producers have phased out the old-fashioned units. I also worked for block producer and our contractors used different names for the same shape block, so there is a wide range of what the "official" name is.

The best thing to do is call a major block producer and describe what kind of unit you need. Since a typical complete mold box for block is about $10,000 many smaller volume producers have limited availability.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 05-22-2012 at 10:09 AM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
CplDevilDog (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Name this block....

As Dick mentioned, it's called a "knock out bond beam" here in my locale, or simply labeled as a "KO" for simplicity. Very common block shape here, especially in commercial work.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Name this block....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Ah yes, there it is hiding in the corner.

So a Lintel Block is a solid channel with no holes in the bottom, used only for vertical reinforcement.

While a Channel or Trough block is used to make a Bond Beam when both Vertical and Horizontal reinforcement is desired?

So I would be correct in using this for the top course of a pond wall that will have vertical rods and pours as well as a Bond Beam encircling the top course?

Thanks

Yes, and I should really have stated above that it would also be called a "pour-through bond-beam" here as well, as that's it's exact purpose.......

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote