Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #1

Share |

mortar for stone

I have done a fair bit with dry stack and want to give building a shed a try. I have a good supply of basalt stone of about the right size. When I look online for advice on mortar, the UK sites all say use only lime in the mix, and the US sites say either 1:1:6 or 1:2:9. So, with this conflicting advice, I am kind of stuck. Any ideas would help!

oldguyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

mortar for stone

Ideally, you'd want to know the approximate compressive strength of the stone you're using, which can often be found by contacting a local veneer stone supplier. Then, you'll want to choose a mortar with a compressive strength slightly lower. For example, most Type S mortars will achieve around 2500 psi in strength, and our the choice for most local stone veneers HERE. A Type S mortar can be simply produced at about a 1:1:6-8.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #3

mortar for stone

Thanks. I will take a chunk of the stone I am using to a local stone supplier and see what they say. Good advice! I am likely going to get some cut ashlar from them for the corners in any event.
oldguyskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lime, mortar, stone