Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |

Monument Sign

I submitted drawings for this design to a city manager who will be using inmate labor to construct it, I specified that the "stuccoed" brown center section be built entiely of concrete block. They are, instead, thinking of stacking block up to the curved section and forming and pouring the rest because they aren't sure they can make the curve with block. But if the curved section is poured, and that below is block, would a crack develop between the two sections later? If they are going to pour it, wouldn't it be better to pour the whole section?
Thanks!

lou859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Monument Sign

Personally, I wouldn't go through all the detail work involved in the most important part of the sign and rely on any kind of plaster finish on it. We did an almost identical sign last year, and although it was somewhat costly, we had a single piece of Indiana Bedford cut with the radius and engraved with the park name, adress, etc.... It was somewhat pricey, but it took less than an hour to set that section, and should last at least a lifetime.......

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Monument Sign

I too would go with a solid piece of etched stone or even a wood composite. Carved resin would be another possibility. And please do not laugh, a thick piece of recycled glass would be drop dead gorgeous etched or whatever and hard as stone.

Is this thing two-sided?

There is a company I have use in Minnesota that laser etches and carves wood at like 1200dpi and finer than your home laser and inkjet printer. They do signage like this all the time.

I jump ahead though. Must the sign be stucco with the raised lettering for some reason? Just seems like the first creative vandal could do a wire frame stucco sign in, in a heartbeat. Or with any effort, any sign panel we think up. Should it not be replaceable?

Design looks very nice and I have no concerns about the overall structure.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

Monument Sign

I also priced it with a center piece made of textured EPS foam but the cost was way over their budget. As i said, they are using inmate labor to build this thing and their budget is severely limited. A piece of stone would surely not be an option. The plan was to stucco the center piece and mount 3D high density urethane letters to it. So you're saying that stucco on concrete isn't a good idea?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

Monument Sign

If they insist on concrete, I would have the foundation base and center section of your sign poured. You can put a direct applied finish system on concrete as long as you let the concrete cure out first.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Monument Sign

I must have missed the part about the cheap labor the first time. As it is, why not spec it out as all CMU and let them deviate on the job as they will. If they decide to pour the top arch in concrete later, and there's some telegraphing cracks through the stucco, they'll have to deal with it then. There's no guarantee that there not going to be some random cracking in the stucco the way it is with unskilled labor applying now anyways...............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Monument Sign

Thanks
What do you think about setting some nice stone tile on the surface with exterior thinset?
Would it need metal lathe or just set the tile directly to the block?