Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Share |

monolithic and joints

If I were to pour a 14 x 24 slab with thickened edges would it require control joints? This would be for an out building that would be finished out as a normal occupied room, sort of a de-tached room.

Reason I ask is it seems like when I see slabs finished for residential construction I don't see joints going in, and in my home I found no joints.

In our area what would be a good dimension for the thicker edges and slab? It rarely freezes here, no heaving.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

monolithic and joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
If I were to pour a 14 x 24 slab with thickened edges would it require control joints? This would be for an out building that would be finished out as a normal occupied room, sort of a de-tached room.

Reason I ask is it seems like when I see slabs finished for residential construction I don't see joints going in, and in my home I found no joints.

In our area what would be a good dimension for the thicker edges and slab? It rarely freezes here, no heaving.

Control/contraction joints should be sawed or hand tooled in a slab of any size,and the spacing for a slab is determined by the thickness of said slab, a good rule of thumb for your area would be 2 times the thickness of your slab in feet, and if you really want to get picky 3 times the thickness would work also,just depends on who you ask,American concrete inst. or Portland cement association.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #3

monolithic and joints

I would never tool a joint on a slab but i would most def saw cut 2 joints in your slab both right down the middle so they intersect in the middle.
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #4

monolithic and joints

If saw cut, how deep? Is there a ratio related to slab thickness?

And if there is a ratio related to slab thickness, does the saw cut need to get deeper over the thickened edges of the slab?
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #5

monolithic and joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
If saw cut, how deep? Is there a ratio related to slab thickness?

And if there is a ratio related to slab thickness, does the saw cut need to get deeper over the thickened edges of the slab?

The rule of thumb is 25% of the slab thickness,so a 4 inch slab would be 1 inch,and the cut doe's not get deeper at the edges, for your's i would make a cut 8 feet in from the edge of the 24 foot measurment at each end,and one cut down the center of the 14 foot.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (06-06-2012)