Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Masonry questions

I've got a few projects that I want to get done this summer. I'll be doing some of the work, and I'm hiring a mason to do some.

The first thing that I'm hiring a mason for is to install cultured stone veneer on my brick chimney. My question concerns the flashing. I've already talked to two masons that want to do it two different ways. I'm going with copper flashing. One mason would install it so the copper flashing is visible and the stone veneer would start ABOVE the flashing; ie in a traditional manor. The other mason wants to install the flashing and then install the veneer ON TOP OF the flashing so the stone would cover the flashing and you would not see it. I've seen it done both ways, but not sure if the second way is an acceptable practice.

My second question involves the steps I'm going to build for my front entrance way. The vertical surfaces will use the same stone veneer, and the horizontal surfaces will be pavers. The steps will be curved. Should I build the substructure out of cinder blocks, or because of the curve, use poured concrete?

Thanks for the advice,
Josh

upstatenyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

Masonry questions

i'm for the 2nd guy - flashing always goes under the material.

build the step bases out of conc block then face/finish w/stone & , if you must, pavers - i'd pick stone for riser AND tread if it were mine,,, finish w/2 coats of silicone siloxane to waterproof the mortar/stone after 3 months, josh

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Masonry questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenyguy View Post
I've got a few projects that I want to get done this summer. I'll be doing some of the work, and I'm hiring a mason to do some.

The first thing that I'm hiring a mason for is to install cultured stone veneer on my brick chimney. My question concerns the flashing. I've already talked to two masons that want to do it two different ways. I'm going with copper flashing. One mason would install it so the copper flashing is visible and the stone veneer would start ABOVE the flashing; ie in a traditional manor. The other mason wants to install the flashing and then install the veneer ON TOP OF the flashing so the stone would cover the flashing and you would not see it. I've seen it done both ways, but not sure if the second way is an acceptable practice.

My second question involves the steps I'm going to build for my front entrance way. The vertical surfaces will use the same stone veneer, and the horizontal surfaces will be pavers. The steps will be curved. Should I build the substructure out of cinder blocks, or because of the curve, use poured concrete?

Thanks for the advice,
Josh
First off, you would never install stone over copper. So the first mason is right . Fyi- im not guessing this method or is this an opinion.

For the round steps, you want to first pour an 8' concrete footer with 4 inches extra on the perimeter then what the 1st tread is. You will have to use brick to build the treads and block to use as fill. You have to use brick for fill as well to get the right heights for the next tread to sit on. You will want to build the entire set of steps first, over hanging the rowlock of brick so the stone can bet set on the riser. The veneer your using should be about 1 1/2".
Once the steps are built, you can stick the stone and pour the concrete fill, unless you will be using pavers there as well. Make sure the fill is solid.
Hope this was some help. GL
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

Masonry questions

gotta diagree w/'pro',,, did our home's chimney that way over 40yrs ago &, other than some repointing, its worked fine
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Masonry questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
gotta diagree w/'pro',,, did our home's chimney that way over 40yrs ago &, other than some repointing, its worked fine
Im not saying its not possible, just more work that way. Copper looks good on a chimney why cover it?
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Masonry questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenyguy View Post

I may not under stand the question 100%, but it sounds like you may be talking about a counter-flashing over the tin shingles. If that's the case, I'd pad the bottom of the chimney out under the new stone so that the copper could be removed in the future to replace the roof, w/o havign to take the stone off.

Thanks for the advice,
Josh
I would personally form and pour teh entire base out of concrete, install the stone on the risers first (leaving it up to allow the brick treads to slip underneath) and install the brick treads, with 1" overhang, last.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #7

Masonry questions

Thanks for the replies everybody. Gives me something to think about today at work! I'll be back with some follow up questions. Josh

upstatenyguy is offline   Reply With Quote