Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this mason about to ruin my house??

So I am having an addition put on my home. The addition is two story, as well as a totally under grade basement. The basement will only be under a 12x26 section of the addition. The house is going to be constructed of lumber, and the basement will have block walls on a 16"x16" footing with a 6" poured slab floor. Today I was talking to the mason who will be building the block basement walls. He told me that instead of placing the blocks centered on the footing, each block will hang over the edge of the footing about 1/4 of an inch. He said he does this so water can flow down the wall and flow away freely without sitting on the footing lip and seeping in. I have never heard of anything like this and I am afraid it just won't work well. The guys is supposed to start laying blocks next week, so could someone in the know either put my mind at ease, or tell me this guy is crazy?? Thanks in advance.

Chris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,150

Never heard of such a thing, in fact in my area it would not even pass inspection like that.
Sure someone did not screw up the footing dementions and there trying to make it work?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

+1 to what Joe said, 8" blocks need to be centered on the16"footing, stop by your local building department and ask.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
He told me that instead of placing the blocks centered on the footing, each block will hang over the edge of the footing about 1/4 of an inch. He said he does this so water can flow down the wall and flow away freely without sitting on the footing lip and seeping in.
I've never heard of that either, must be how they do it in Russia or something, but when you put the load offset from the center like that you create a rotational force and that's not a good thing. If you don't know what I mean then picture a seesaw in the playground with it's fulcrum in the center, as long as two people are on it, the load is balanced, one gets off it's now weighted to the other side, if the seesaw was rigid and fixed to the fulcrum instead of able to hinge on it, the weight would pull the fulcrum over like a crowbar, that's what this guy is doing by what you describe, though it's a shorter measurement to the center there's a lot more weight to what it's supporting, so any off-center like this would have a considerable rotational force trying to turn the concrete pad over.

I'd tell him put them in the center like normal or take a hike.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,150

Even the width of the footing and the depth of the concrete for the floor sounds off to me.
No one here's going to know what the soil conditions are there so it's just a guess.
We have to have a 24" wide footing for two storys, and only need 4" for a floor.
I'm hoping one of our super smart engineers will pipe in soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Absolute minimums for code "HERE":

- Footing must be at least 8" thick, and bear on solid virgin, or engineered fill, soil.
- Footing must extend at least 4" minimum beyond each side of foundation wall. (that means your mason's plan not only won't work, but it will be off by at least 4")
- Top of exterior and interior draintile must be no higher than than top of footing to promote good drainage.
- Basement floor must be a min. of 3" thick, crawls space/rat floors a min. of 2" thick.

What your mason is planning on doing may not be a code infraction where "YOU" live, but it's certainly not good practice regardless. As for it being superior at directing water to the draintile? Maybe, but at what structural cost? Mortar damming on the footing can be an issue, but it's easily overcome by scraping the excess mud off at the end of every work day. Punching a hole in the cross bleeders on the exterior helps alot as well.....
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

What does it state on your plans? Is the mason following your plans?

Agree with the others that 16" width for footing seems narrow for 2-storey + basement.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 81

Unless you planned on this when setting your footing, your house is going to be eight and a half inches wider and longer that you expected, or if you did plan on setting the block this way and chose to do it the right way (centered) your house is going to be eight and a half inches smaller in both dimentions.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,174

someone's f'n nuts putting the load on 1 side of a foundation rather than center'd,,, don't think its anyone who responded to your post, either,,, be a shame to get the work done only to find it won't pass inspection & walls must be replaced,,, better figure this out quik even if it means a ' stop work ' order,,, was this in the plans ?

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote