Manufactured Stone Veneer On Int Basement Wall - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Manufactured Stone Veneer on Int basement wall

I am starting a remodel on my basement. On one of my walls i want to use a Manufactured Stone Veneer. This wall will be 35 ft long (ceiling height is 7ft). Installing the stone will be new to me so i am looking for some suggestions on building the wall in a way to make the job easier for a newbie like me.

The plan right now is 1" rigid foam XPS board against the basement wall, 2 by 4 frame wall, fiberglass inbetween the studs. Is there any type of board i can use so i can skip the metal lath and scratch coat step?

I was thinking HardieBacker board (or would plywood or drywall be better).

Thanks in advance for the help.

here is the Stone veneer i was thinking about using.
http://www.menards.com/main/building.../p-2238047.htm

Advertisement

Last edited by From a Buick 8; 03-04-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Add more info
From a Buick 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 778

Your best bet would be to check with the manufacturer of the stone. The scratch coat and metal lathe are there to provide a solid base for the stone. Obviously weatherproofing if not a major issue for your application but the weight of the stone is still going to be considerable and must be taken into account. I personally feel you are going to need both of them to accomplish what you want to do.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

Another alternative would be to use a latex bonding agent to scratch coat a portland/sand mix onto existing wall. Since your using synthetic stone, weight shouldn't be to much of an issue. Use a standard modified thinset with a 3/8 notched trowel to set the stone. You want as little thinset to come thru the stone as possible since it is a drystack style. Also, use a hand float to push the stone flush to the wall after you have set it. Do not make more thinset than you can use before it gets hard. Adding water weakens the mix and is not recommended. The stone you chose is a good learning material you should have fun with ease. GL
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,484

since i'm older'n most, i prefer a belt AND suspenders approach,,, not that your skills are challenged by any of us but, just for sh*** & giggles, howzabout using a brick tie now & then ?

i'm certainly not a newbie nor is it my house but i would in mine for that size wall
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEPRO View Post
Another alternative would be to use a latex bonding agent to scratch coat a portland/sand mix onto existing wall. Since your using synthetic stone, weight shouldn't be to much of an issue. Use a standard modified thinset with a 3/8 notched trowel to set the stone. You want as little thinset to come thru the stone as possible since it is a drystack style. Also, use a hand float to push the stone flush to the wall after you have set it. Do not make more thinset than you can use before it gets hard. Adding water weakens the mix and is not recommended. The stone you chose is a good learning material you should have fun with ease. GL
When you say "existing" wall, do you mean the concrete basement wall or the framed wall i will be putting up. If it is the latter then what wall material would you use; Plywood, drywall or other. Can you explain what a hand float is.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
since i'm older'n most, i prefer a belt AND suspenders approach,,, not that your skills are challenged by any of us but, just for sh*** & giggles, howzabout using a brick tie now & then ?

i'm certainly not a newbie nor is it my house but i would in mine for that size wall
Please challenge my skills (i do not have any yet ). Not to sound dumb but what is a brick tie?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,484

that's not dumb, only ignorant, & we gotta cure for that we call it ' education ' its a little corrugated metal piece you attach to the backup wall & bend down so it fits between courses of stone/brick/etc,,, it then gets mortared into place & provides mechanical attachment to the wall material

Last edited by stadry; 03-05-2014 at 07:21 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 252

I like itreallyconc idea of the brick ties. Once you attach the brick tie to the backerboard just cut it ~5/8" to tie the veneer into the wall. If you are framing a wall for insulation then I would use green or blue board that you would use in a bathroom for tile work. If you framing in the wall make sure you use treated lumber for the bottom plate, and secure it to the concrete floor.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
that's not dumb, only ignorant, & we gotta cure for that we call it ' education ' its a little corrugated metal piece you attach to the backup wall & bend down so it fits between courses of stone/brick/etc,,, it then gets mortared into place & provides mechanical attachment to the wall material
Thanks for that, now i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfillwizard View Post
I like itreallyconc idea of the brick ties. Once you attach the brick tie to the backerboard just cut it ~5/8" to tie the veneer into the wall. If you are framing a wall for insulation then I would use green or blue board that you would use in a bathroom for tile work. If you framing in the wall make sure you use treated lumber for the bottom plate, and secure it to the concrete floor.
Can I just use a thinset on the blue board and skip the metal lath and scratch coat step (i like the brick tie idea)

Yes I will use PT wood for the bottom plate, I have a challenge with securing the bottom plate to the floor. I had a french drain water proofing system installed around the perimeter of the basement. I was instructed by the folks who did the water proofing to NOT drill into the concrete in that area. They told me to secure the bottom plate with something like liquid nails.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,164

Liquid nails should work okay, the veneer in your pic looked like dri-stack,the brick ties may not work with it,as they a usually embedded in the mortar.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 152

Hand float is basically a flat surface with handle used for concrete. I use the flatness to set stonetile. You can also use a grout float. Pretty much anything of the likes will work. If you dont apply an even pressure you can squeeze too much thinset thru the face of your stone. Not pretty on unpolished material. Just a lil trick nothing too special about.

I believe i might have gotten confused... When i read basement i guess i imagined it being concrete? Im located in a coastal area so i dont ever see basements. If its framing, then screw durock or something comparable as before mentioned.

Brick ties are NEVER a bad idea. Tie the stone directly to your studs in the wall. You can make them work wherever you need, brick or stone, with some snips and a little ingenuity.
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEPRO View Post
Hand float is basically a flat surface with handle used for concrete. I use the flatness to set stonetile. You can also use a grout float. Pretty much anything of the likes will work. If you dont apply an even pressure you can squeeze too much thinset thru the face of your stone. Not pretty on unpolished material. Just a lil trick nothing too special about.

I believe i might have gotten confused... When i read basement i guess i imagined it being concrete? Im located in a coastal area so i dont ever see basements. If its framing, then screw durock or something comparable as before mentioned.

Brick ties are NEVER a bad idea. Tie the stone directly to your studs in the wall. You can make them work wherever you need, brick or stone, with some snips and a little ingenuity.
Thanks so much for that, would you use 1/2 or 1/4" durock?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by From a Buick 8 View Post
Thanks so much for that, would you use 1/2 or 1/4" durock?
make sure your studs are 16" o.c.
use 1/2 durarock , rough side out
use a bonding agent with the mud base
wall ties are useless in this application
when you apply your stone to the wall, make sure you get a good suction.
a problem ppl have is they play with the stone too much and loose the bond
be conscious of cleanliness it matters at the end.
don't rake or try to clean the excess mortar until it is very dry, no wire brushing
play with the stone and lay it out on the floor to establish a pattern an get a feel as to what pattern the stone will give you.
This is an expensive project. Do some serious thinking before you start.
you should be ok

Advertisement

rusty2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty2010 For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (03-14-2014)