Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Making a small slope to brick patio?

What is the best way to repair/replace this small concrete ramp? It looks like the brick have shifted a bit causing the existing concrete to break. I've thought about pinning, but I'm afraid it's too small to use rebar to hold it together in the future.

Do I need aggregate for something like this, or just use cement?

walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

i rather expect the bricks shifted because the conc/mortar stuck to them & forced their displacement,,, 'course that only my view from marietta whoever placed the conc/mortar shouldda known it would fail,,, worse yet, maybe they didn't so we suspect the h/o did the work.

is that a driveway next to the brickwork ? what do you wanna do - cobble it back together OR fix it correctly ?

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post

is that a driveway next to the brickwork ? what do you wanna do - cobble it back together OR fix it correctly ?

The patio was added about 15 years ago by a previous homeowner. The patio was not a DIY job, and I'm guessing the contractor placed the concrete. Yes, that is a driveway to the right.

I would prefer to fix it correctly, but not sure what that is for something like this. I want to keep a slope as I move a handtruck along this path several times a week.
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

1st consider why the original work failed,,, conc isn't meant to be placed in a long skinny-dimension,,, had the concretist cut in jnts AND placed a sufficient sized block of conc, it would have worked,,, as done, it was doomed from the start.

remove the existing conc, reset brickwork properly, then install new conc as deep as it is wide ( suggest 10wide x 10" deep ),,, cut a control jnt every 2' & you'll have something that will last,,, no reason for rebar, eithe,,, you can still keep the bevel
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote