Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #1

Share |

Making Concrete Panels/Tiles

I am new to this and going to do my own shower and even on the kitchen floor. I am seeking advice on which supplies to use, and what will last and not last.

First, I am unsure of what concrete should be used. I have come across 3 ways.

1. Use GFRC.
2. Use pre-mix portland cement and install fiberglass mesh inside.
3. Use quickcrete countertop mix

Which way is best?

Second, I am wondering about what size I should make the panel/tiles do to strength. Should I make panels or smaller tiles? Can I make them under a 1/2" thick, or is will they crack and need to go bigger?

And last, is all about coloring and sealing. I was wondering if I can paint the panels/tiles? If I can, what paint is best? I have not seen anyone paint cement panels/tiles, most use a power/liquid dye or acid stain, but with paint you can do many more designs, colors, or even a mural.

Also, when sealing, has anyone had issues with polyurethane yellowing? I am sure it does because it is oil-based. Would something like Minwax polycrylic be ok?

Thanks for any help on this.

-joey

cane2990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #2

why can't/won't you use avail tiles ? no supply OR is the goal your artistic individuality ? knowing your location ( as the site rqst'd ) would be helpful - are you in e-bum**** OR near an apron/vest store ? 'quikcrete' suggests you're in the usa,,, its certainly possible but doubtful you can feasibly & successfully cast thin conc ' tiles ',,, you'll have much more luck reinventing the wheel,,, IF it were our project, we'd start w/white cement then add hybrid-polymers & silicon carbide fine aggregate,,, OR we could buy a bagg'd mix containing same.

paint doesn't last very long & even less on conc,,, no abrasion nor UV resistance why any need to repaint if it did ? see what's possible & has been created @ conc network speaking of paint, many see public $ wasted on paint'd murals expressing politically skew'd history then watched them degrade into another example of ' tagged ' graffiti - just another example of painted conc

polyaspartics / polyureas are terrific sealers,,, we use methylmethacrylate-reinforced solvent-bas'd acrylic, the 2 p's, & epoxies,,, minwax on conc ? not on my work

possibly another poster'll have more positive impractical encouragement good luck !

Last edited by stadry; 11-17-2013 at 05:24 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #3

Sounds like a poor plan to me to.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

GFRC is normally beyond the grasp of a DIYer, but it is also the only method to get concrete panels/tiles to 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Why would you go through the effort of casting a material only to coat it with another? If you are going to use a plastic material to form tiles, then plan on coloring them in the plastic state, since that is really the only conceivable reason for making them in the first place.

Truthfully, you need to spend some time reading about what you want to do, and then come back with cogent questions.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Well, I am just going to use pre-mixed and lay a fiber mesh in the middle. It wont crack. If concrete can last outside as walkways in a weather changing climate (100 degree summer, below 0 winter), im sure it will hold up inside the home. Ill make it 3/4" thick. It isnt hard.

concretenetwork.com
Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

i also dont mind doing the work. i can do it as i please.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/photo...rete-tiles_29/
Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #7

so much for the great help on this forum.

as to why i am doing it....well i can get something that looks like slate, granite, porcelin for much less

Last edited by cane2990; 11-20-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

http://www.concretenetwork.com/photo...e-shower_6831/
Old 11-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

It would be cheaper to just buy them to attempt any of the tiles on your first link, the second is doable, but unless you already know quite a bit about concrete/GFRC, plan on making three to 4 times as many as you need to get enough to do the projeci. In addition to concrete knowledge, you also need to be able to create very accurate and slick molds. All of this is certainly doable, but you won't end up saving any money, so if that is your primary goal...

There is a reason why they are expensive, you know.
Live_Oak (11-23-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

all that needs to be done is sanding. that will smooth it right out. i wont be able to make anything less than 1/2". but to make sure im going to go 3/4".

the reason concrete tiles are costly is because most are hand painted.

this is not a hard job.

check out this vid

and this one

im going to be doing panels. not tiles. probably panels will be 2' x 1' and 3/4" thick

Last edited by cane2990; 11-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.