Lumber As A Rebar Chair? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 320

Lumber as a rebar chair?

I noticed a mason's assistant used four large pieces of 2x12 lumber to support the number 6 rebar in a 5'x5' concrete pad that will support a column in the basement. I don't really like this idea because I'm concerned the wood might compress or rot.

Also, the slab isn't poured, and these guys are proposing pouring the column pads underneath the vapor barrier. Problem?

One final concern. The mesh appears to be something like 14 gauge wire. Don't I need something like a 10 gauge in the slab?

Advertisement

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Lumber as a rebar chair?

What do your questions have to do with DIY?

Advertisement

gregzoll (07-08-2014), wkearney99 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Lumber as a rebar chair?

If you have a design for the pad, then of course you need to review the plans and specifications for the design to insure that the contractor is following the plans. As to the wire, I am confused by your post. You indicate that the contractor placed heavy lumber to support the #6 rebar, but later you indicate you are concerned that the wire mesh is the wrong size. Is the plan to use wire mesh for the slab, and #6 bars for the pad? Again, you need to review the plans and specifications for the slab to make sure the contractor is following the plans. If you do not have plans and/or specs, you may want to discuss the project with the building inspector to see what the minimum requirements of your local building code are.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-08-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

Lumber as a rebar chair?

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But no, you don't use lumber for rebar chairs..... however, they may not intend those to be perment.... often just used while tying rebar up.... then a precast little chair,broken cmu, or even a clean small rock..... in some pours.... height of bar in the pad/slab is an eng spec.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 320

Lumber as a rebar chair?

I have a design for the pad, but it doesn't specify how the rebar should be suspended. I just wanted to know if using big block of lumber in a pad is standard practice.

The mesh is for the slab. 10/10 was specified.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 268

Lumber as a rebar chair?

No way is the use of any lumber standard practice for supporting rebar.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,164

Lumber as a rebar chair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamincall View Post
I have a design for the pad, but it doesn't specify how the rebar should be suspended. I just wanted to know if using big block of lumber in a pad is standard practice.

The mesh is for the slab. 10/10 was specified.

This is how rebar should be suspended, never by lumber but some use plastic.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/bu...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Lumber as a rebar chair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamincall View Post
I noticed a mason's assistant used four large pieces of 2x12 lumber to support the number 6 rebar in a 5'x5' concrete pad that will support a column in the basement. I don't really like this idea because I'm concerned the wood might compress or rot.

As mentioned above, it could just be for convenience when tieing them together, or to keep them out of the ground/mud/water. But, NO, wood is not an acceptable chair when it becomes time to pour. They'd be better off with nothing supporting them than wood.

Also, the slab isn't poured, and these guys are proposing pouring the column pads underneath the vapor barrier. Problem?

Not at all, completely conventional way....

One final concern. The mesh appears to be something like 14 gauge wire. Don't I need something like a 10 gauge in the slab?
In a basement, you really shouldn't need anything. Personally, I see it specc'd ocaisonally on plans, but i don't care to use it, as while you place it , it's near impossible to not compromise the vapor barrier with a ton of puntures. I can't say I've ever seen anything smaller than 6x6 x 10/10 mesh either though. It should be right around 1/8" diameter.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,476

Lumber as a rebar chair?

wood for ' chairs ' to support rebar/mesh ? that's funny,,, who's the genius who thought that up ? lsiten to the other guyz

irc

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote