Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Looking for methods to lay this stone.

I seem to dig my self in deeper and deeper.

Hee is the link to my first questions about this patio: Unsure of small retaining wall materials.

I'm putting in a new 525 sq. ft. patio and let my wife pick out the stone she wanted. I don't know what you call this type (looking for the correct term), but it is natural stone, which has been shaped into rectangular pieces. The kicker is they are all different thicknesses.

Yes, pavers would have been a lot easier, but what the little lady wants, the little lady gets.

I have been looking all over the web for instructional videos how to lay this type of stone, but have been coming up empty handed. I need some decent working instructions so I wind up with a uniformly flat surface. We will be using polymeric sand as the filler between stones.

The photos show the stone display at their store, the second two show the skids of stone that was delivered.

My supplier said to first lay out the entire pattern on the bedding sand, then to go back and address each piece, whether to raise it by adding sand or to or to lower it by removing sand. Is this the correct way, or is there a better tried and true method?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Found a really great site that will be very helpful. http://www.pavingexpert.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for methods to lay this stone.-img_20130919_085720_764.jpg   Looking for methods to lay this stone.-img_20130925_083210_748.jpg   Looking for methods to lay this stone.-img_20130921_073722_854.jpg  

Last edited by MurphyMan; 10-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Do you plan on mortar setting them over a slab? Easy if so, laying them in bedding stone is going to be a PIA.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Do you plan on mortar setting them over a slab? Easy if so, laying them in bedding stone is going to be a PIA.
No. I have a compacted gravel base, which will be topped with one inch of sand. The stones will lay on the sand - at least, that's my current plan.

Look at this link: Unsure of small retaining wall materials.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,248

that first pic is from the store ? the stone is nice. but the layout looks like crap.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
that first pic is from the store ? the stone is nice. but the layout looks like crap.
Yes, that is from the store. They have a large patio, with smaller sections devoted to different stone & pavers.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,166

beauty's in the eye of the beholder i like it &, evidently, so does she-who-must-be-obeyed your guy told you correctly,,, that's how i did ours & its still fine after 40yrs,,, occasionally relay a few pieces but that's in upstate ny
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,248

that looks like an idiot layed it. except that it is flat.

FAR BETTER
http://cdn.homeadvisor.com/files/eid...tio.172880.jpg
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

Here are a couple of update photos. As you can see, the retaining/seating wall is only going along about half of the patio.

I think this will turn out okay. Go easy on me guys. This is my first time out on something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for methods to lay this stone.-img_20131002_150607_523.jpg   Looking for methods to lay this stone.-img_20131002_150626_139.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

I found a good site in England. One thing of note, they said we used the wrong bedding sand. My contractor brought in a washed sand, when we should have used a course sand. Also, they recommend mixing the sand with cement 10:1.

Here is the link: http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag3.htm