Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Share |

Little Brick Wall

Hello All,

We just bought a house and have been very busy trying to make the outdoor space enjoyable. We just finished installing a brick paver patio, and have a ton of pavers left over. We would like to use them to build a little wall to block out the tangle of sprinkler pumps and lines. Because the bricks (4"x8"x2") were meant to be pavers (beveled edges of the tops and notches on the sides for spacing), they would really only look good if they were in shiner orientation, meaning the wall would only be about 2" thick. The patio is enclosed on two sides by the house, and the wall would be within 4 feet of the house, and approximately 3' high. I live in south Florida, so we have the chance of hurricane winds, and I know the local building code says walls under 5' should be 4" thick.. But.. Is there any way to vertically shore up the wall? Would a wall of that thickness be reasonably stable at that height? I'd love any input you may have. Thanks!

Palmbeachlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Rob

Little Brick Wall

I do not think laying the brick on edge would last very long. I am guessing you don't have freezing temps in your area so I would suggest building a 4" block (CMU) wall with footing and using thinset (tile adhesive) and stick the brick to the block wall.
Not a typical thing to do but if I come up with anything else I will let you know.

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

Little Brick Wall

could always install a cmu wall and use the brick as a veneer. grout the voids in the cmu's.

install a cap stone on top and make it a counter/table. food for thought

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

Little Brick Wall

Nope, no freezing temps here.. Thickness is a factor.. I could have a 4" wall there, but any more may be pushing it. We still want to have access to the lines in case they need to be repaired.

I forget what the thin metal is called, but it's installed every few courses for lateral support.. If we used that in combination with rebar vertically every few feet? Or am I just getting silly?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

Little Brick Wall

And yes, I'm planning some type of cap stone to make it look finished, and to hide the skinniness..
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Rob

Little Brick Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmbeachlys View Post
Nope, no freezing temps here.. Thickness is a factor.. I could have a 4" wall there, but any more may be pushing it. We still want to have access to the lines in case they need to be repaired.

I forget what the thin metal is called, but it's installed every few courses for lateral support.. If we used that in combination with rebar vertically every few feet? Or am I just getting silly?
thin metal -brick ties?
How about laying down 4"x 6'' PT on ground or buried with top exposed, building a frame using 2"x2"(1 1/2x1 1/2) PT lumber, attaching to 4x6, sheathing with 1/2" PT plywood topped with I think they make 1/4" cement board, screw brick ties and glue brick with thinset with bottom course laying on 4x6. You would need at least two perpendicular walls coming together for it to stand and it would be 4 1/4 inches thick with brick.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

Little Brick Wall

Thanks.. That sounds like a great direction for me to move in.. I think framing and mounting the bricks as described will work, but do you think instead of attaching to a 4x6 I could set posts at the corners and bracket? I have a concrete wedge for the paver edging that would interfere with the 4x6...
Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

Little Brick Wall

Oh, but I think the metal I was referring to is called ladder reinforcement - used in concrete block.. Brick ties will work for me
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Rob

Little Brick Wall

Quote:
Thanks.. That sounds like a great direction for me to move in.. I think framing and mounting the bricks as described will work, but do you think instead of attaching to a 4x6 I could set posts at the corners and bracket? I have a concrete wedge for the paver edging that would interfere with the 4x6...
Little Brick Wall-little-brick-wall.jpg
With brick setting on 2x4. and 4x4 need to be buried
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #10

Little Brick Wall

Ok, great. Thanks so much! ��
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Rob

Little Brick Wall

Quote:
Oh, but I think the metal I was referring to is called ladder reinforcement - used in concrete block.. Brick ties will work for me
I think you are describing block wire but what I would use is a thin strip of corrugated metal about an inch wide and 6" long.