Liquid Binder For Tuckpointing Mortar Mix - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038
Question

liquid binder for tuckpointing mortar mix

i am getting redo to do some old brick restoration for an exposed brick wall. since it is 100 y.o. brick, some local experts whom i forgot to ask this question advised against using the premixed home depot mortar and suggested i mix my own in the ratio 1 lime, 1 portland cement, and 6 sand.

however, i have also read somewhere something about a liquid binding agent and was wondering if perhaps that should be tossed into the mix for additional strength or smoothness.

thanks

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Check that the original mortar is not lime only mortar with no OPC. If so you would be better using a suitable lime mortar, especially if the bricks are soft ones.

Advertisement

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

Use type N mortar. No bonding agent. DONT use lowes/HD products. EVER. Case closed.

******Make sure the sand/mortar ratio is close as possible*******

For good measure, you never want the mortar too sandy. Too much sand makes the mortar weak and will wash away in 5 years instead of 50.
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

To the OP Amakarevic, now that I assume you have long completed this, what did you do, and what did you learn? I have a 100 yr old house in a climate that gets real winters, and am needing to repoint for winter. Curious about your outcome, and the inevitable "if I knew then, what I know now."
OurHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 580

You need to check to make sure that you have or do not have lime mortar as a first step.
OurHouse (09-07-2013)

Tags
tuckpointing