Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

leveling sand question in DIY paver project

I am DIY-ing a large paver patio/walkway now.

I have ~1.5 cu. yards of some white-looking fine sand in my backyard (from the previous owner's lousy brick patio job). Can I use these for the leveling sand for my pavers? Or is concrete sand is a must? Or can I mix these with concrete sand 1:1 and use them as leveling sand under the pavers?

Will I be running into any major issue down the road. For the record, I live in the SF Bay Area and we don't freeze here. I will put 4" road base, compacted, and then 1" leveling sand followed by the 60mm pavers.

htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2

leveling sand question in DIY paver project

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabbas View Post
I am DIY-ing a large paver patio/walkway now.

I have ~1.5 cu. yards of some white-looking fine sand in my backyard (from the previous owner's lousy brick patio job). Can I use these for the leveling sand for my pavers? Or is concrete sand is a must? Or can I mix these with concrete sand 1:1 and use them as leveling sand under the pavers?

Will I be running into any major issue down the road. For the record, I live in the SF Bay Area and we don't freeze here. I will put 4" road base, compacted, and then 1" leveling sand followed by the 60mm pavers.

The sand you want to use for your base is number 2 torpedo sand,it's primary use is for redi-mix concrete, the fine sand you have might be okay to fill the joints of the pavers,but you should really use polymeric sand to do that,it wont wash out and weeds wont grow in it because it hardens after wetting it.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote