Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad

Hi all,

Thanks ahead of time for opinions and help. I have a concrete patio pad that has settled and cracked. I want to see if the following idea will work. All I want to do is pour some exterior self leveling cement on the parts of the pad that has sunk. Then once it's level put rubber tiles over it. The differential in levels probably between half inch and less than an inch at the biggest differential area.

Here's some photos.

My questions: Best type of cement to do this job? How do I fill in the cracks so it doesn't crack again? I've seen rubber like filler that would make me believe it helps cushion any expanding. Use a bonding chemical a good idea? If so what type? Is this a good idea or should I just repour the slab (would hate to do that because sounds like more work breaking up old pad and repouring)? Anything I should be aware of ahead of time?
Attached Thumbnails
Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad-photo-2.jpg   Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad-photo-2a.jpg   Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad-photo-3.jpg   Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad-photo-3b.jpg   Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad-photo-4.jpg  

Leveling Exterior Concrete Patio Pad-photo-4c.jpg  

Advertisement

dzobrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,174

Based on the photos, this looks like it could either be settlement due to inadequate base preparation, or heave due to freeze thaw, again due to inadequate base preparation. In either case, if you pour a thin layer of concrete or self leveling compound over the existing concrete, you will simply get reflection cracking in the new concrete. The best way to minimize cracking potential would be to remove the existing concrete, and place an adequate base before placing new concrete.

An adequate base generally means at least 12 inches of crushed stone, clean gravel, or coarse sand over natural mineral soil. In cases of really poor existing soil, you may need a deeper base than that.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Everything has a realistic service life, and that combination of patio/sidewalks/additions is well past it's service life. There's no simple, cost effective way to limp it along for more than one winter IMO.........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,458

what about that stuff bill clinton used to line the back of his el camino ? believe i heard he said it looked like grass & rhymes w/***

your patio's reached its end,,, you could overlay ea individual piece & make 'em look like river stones or flagstone but you could also replace the whole pad for about the same,,, i'd 2nd the latter if i were you

when AND IF you do replace it, have your guy install a proper joint pattern so you don't wind up w/random cracking
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete pad , cracks , leveling , patio , repair