Leveling A Concrete Garage Floor. - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Leveling a Concrete Garage Floor.

I am renting a 26x24 space and the floor has settled towards the middle, has a few holes and what not. I was wondering what would be the best way to repour a new floor over it? I really haven't played with concrete much so I not sure which way to go about this.

Off the top of my head I was thinking to clean it good, snap some level lines around the room just above the highest point of the floor, put down some kind of mesh and use some kind of SLC. Am I am on the right track? Being a rented space I don't want to dump a bunch of cash into this place.

Advertisement

TBFghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,570

If you don't bust the old floor out and pour new, I can almost guarantee the new floor will crack along the same lines as the old one.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFghost
I am renting a 26x24 space and the floor has settled towards the middle, has a few holes and what not. I was wondering what would be the best way to repour a new floor over it? I really haven't played with concrete much so I not sure which way to go about this.

Off the top of my head I was thinking to clean it good, snap some level lines around the room just above the highest point of the floor, put down some kind of mesh and use some kind of SLC. Am I am on the right track? Being a rented space I don't want to dump a bunch of cash into this place.
Is the person who owns the space your renting aware of your plans?
May want to bring it to his attention and see if he will correct it.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
If you don't bust the old floor out and pour new, I can almost guarantee the new floor will crack along the same lines as the old one.
Don't care too much if it cracks as long as I can get it level so items on casters can roll around and things don't rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Is the person who owns the space your renting aware of your plans?
May want to bring it to his attention and see if he will correct it.
He won't correct the floor, not part of our deal.
TBFghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

There is a product called self-levelling concrete. It's much thinner than regular concrete. Here's a video showing it being used.

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,570

It's called Agilia.

http://www.lafargenorthamerica.com/w...696/Product_EN
Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post

If you lay down wire mesh, and pour at least 4" it will not crack (maybe years down the road) ... just make absolutely sure that the mesh is overlapped by 1 square on all sides, and also either suspend the mesh at 2" above old floor with plastic suspenders, or use a pick axe and pull up the mesh as your pouring the concrete. I use this method time and time again here in Canada, and not once had an issue....Don't forget about the door tho!! you may end up having to hammer out a foot or 2 in front and under the garage door in order to taper it off properly, and still have a well functioning door and have proper water run off. hope this helps.

Advertisement

grashoper is offline   Reply With Quote