Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Share |

Leak in basement wall

I guess I have something called a "dead mans wall" that has a leak on one of its side. The other side of it was already repaired with epoxy. What would be the best way to go about fixing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Leak in basement wall-20130310_193812.jpg  

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Leak in basement wall

You are going to have to dig down. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say your grade is wrong, along with no extenders on the downspouts, is why you are having that issue.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Leak in basement wall

I was told to dig down to the problematic area and apply paper tar. What exactly are extenders? What grade are you suppose to have? The weird part is it has only done that once. Every time I have been at the house to do repairs it never leaks even with its raining outside.
word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Leak in basement wall

Poured wall with corroded form ties rusting and leaking? The location of other ties (not corroded yet) are evident on walls in the photos.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Leak in basement wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha View Post
I was told to dig down to the problematic area and apply paper tar. What exactly are extenders? What grade are you suppose to have? The weird part is it has only done that once. Every time I have been at the house to do repairs it never leaks even with its raining outside.
Your grade pitched towards the home, or has dropped, due to compaction, or run off, can cause this problem, with water going down the foundation, then finding the easiest leak, which you are seeing.

Downspout extenders are exactly that. They can be the flex adapters that you can get at Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, or be a piece of downspout, or can be corrugated piping, such as what is used for French or perimeter drains, can also be used.

As for the tar paper, no you would not use that. You need to dig down, and when you do, use 4x8 sheets of 1/2" plywood, with 2x4's cut to brace the sheets, so that the dirt does not cave in while you are working on that section.

You remove as much of the old steel, then clean with a wire brush & TSP, let dry, then patch with Hydraulic Cement. After the cement dries, you can then apply the coating over it. You would be best to actually hire a crew, that would do the work, and then apply a membrane over the wall to further seal it from water penetration, and allow water to flow down to the Perimeter drain around the base of the foundation.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

Leak in basement wall

poppycock,,, just excavate to the location of the leak ( already repaired, huh ? )... wire brush the dirt off the previously-completed repair & make sure the wall's dry,,, slather on some fiber-reinforced trowel-grade roofing ceement,,, for best protection, place a section of pond liner over it & slather the edges shut

dick's right - you'll probably have more to do in the future,,, once we get below 4', we need osha-approved shoring protection, trained ditchdiggers, & a competent person supervising,,, you can do whatever you want but, if i were you, tie a stout rope about your waist so anyone can easily locate your body

just 5 topics below: Need advice on Sealing exterior below grade wall

Last edited by stadry; 03-19-2013 at 05:08 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote