Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Hopefully this week I will be pouring my telescope pier pad (basically a cube of concrete requiring less than 0.5 yards of concrete). I have decided to go the sakrete route.

On general principles I have decided to use wire mesh. There is always lots of discussion about 'pulling' this stuff up vs. using little holder things to hold them, etc. In my case is there any reason not to just lay down a few inches of concrete and then just place a piece of wire mesh down, and repeat?

Also is there any reason not to simply line the entire 'hole in the ground' with plastic? I will be using a form but only for the top 6 inches or so.

Thanks.

dave (the clueless concrete guy)

DaveLeeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Quote:
Also is there any reason not to simply line the entire 'hole in the ground' with plastic? I will be using a form but only for the top 6 inches or so.
Ayuh,... The stability yer lookin' for, comes from not only the mass of the concrete, but also the square corners at the bottom of the block....
So,...
Make Sure the bottom has square corners, plastic or not...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... The stability yer lookin' for, comes from not only the mass of the concrete, but also the square corners at the bottom of the block....
So,...
Make Sure the bottom has square corners, plastic or not...
Thanks for the comment. I certainly could make square corners with a form - would not be hard or expensive. But what is special about square (vs. round)? From a pure physics perspective I would think that round would be 'more efficient' as the bottom width for any direction of tilt is the same. Square would have weaker and stronger directional preferences.

I actually started out thinking of doing a column, until I priced great/big sonotube .

Thanks.

dave
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Square? That one has me stumped as to what it actually means.

Given the size....I really doubt square vs round will make any difference...any difference at all.....unless I'm missing something. The weight on this thing is nothing compared to the actual weight of the concrete....so it's not a loading issue.

As for the wire...your basically putting it in to more or less hold everything together....your not going to have a heavy load on it so your not using it for strength. I would just try to get it as centered as possible....give or take an inch or so...

Since your going for weight....if you have some big rocks...yea...toss them in the hole...I see nothing wrong with having a few rocks sticking up into your slab...more weight...less vibration...as long as your slab has at least 25% of the rock in it...it should hold on pretty good.

Side note...went camping with my boys last weekend (1 week ago)...we were out in Jushua Tree....the night sky was gorgeous.....my younger son was pointing out a few items of note....Orions Belt...Big dipper....north star.....yea....I really need to get a good telescope....I'm thinking an 8" reflecting would be a nice size....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
Thanks for the comment. I certainly could make square corners with a form - would not be hard or expensive. But what is special about square (vs. round)? From a pure physics perspective I would think that round would be 'more efficient' as the bottom width for any direction of tilt is the same. Square would have weaker and stronger directional preferences.

I actually started out thinking of doing a column, until I priced great/big sonotube .

Thanks.

dave
Ayuh,... From a pure physics perspective square cornered foundations are less likely to tip, at All...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
JOATMON

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Dave....how big is this pad going to be?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Dave....how big is this pad going to be?
Basically a cube 2 to 2.5 feet on a side. I've got a bunch of brick sized rocks that will be used to reduce the amount of concrete.

dave
Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
JOATMON

'Laying' Wire Mesh

So....4-5 sq ft......that b!tch will not be going anywhere...you could park a couple of tons on it and it's not going to move.

Make the corners anyway you want.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

'Laying' Wire Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
So....4-5 sq ft......that b!tch will not be going anywhere...you could park a couple of tons on it and it's not going to move.

Make the corners anyway you want.
There is an astronomy rule of thumb of using 10 pounds of pier pad for every pound of load. However, it isn't clear if the pier itself is part of the load or it is just the scope/drive/whatever. Clearly the pier (mostly being lower than the scope/etc) is a smaller consideration, so I scaled that back a bit (just my pier weighs 100 pounds) and came up with a target of 1200 pounds of pier pad.

Here in NC frost line issues are minimal so anything reasonable gets well below that.

dave