Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Large gap between retaining wall and driveway

I have this retaining wall that seems to be giving way and the driveway slabs near it are subsiding. I can't say that it's gotten worse since I moved in in 2010, but I suspect it has gotten slightly worse.

The distance between the slab and the wall is probably 2-3 inches, but I haven't tried to figure out how deep it is. I think I'm afraid to know.

My thought is that the ultimate fix would be to rebuild the wall and mud jack the slabs. Because I think a roof might be highest on my priority list this ultimate fix might give way to a more temporary solution.

I'm also looking for a temporary solution that might add some waterproofness to my basement. This wall ties into the side of my garage (where it then also act as a wall to hold the fill below the garage slab). I think water may be entering here and then making its way to my basement that begins just past the garage slab. After really big rains I can get some seepage between at the base of my basement walls in that general vicinity of the garage. Unless there's an underground leak in the drains from the roof that I can't see, water from the driveway making it to this crack and then running back towards the house seems like the best culprit.

I just finished sealing areas of my house that had concrete slabs abutting the foundation by using backer rod and self leveling sealant. Would that be an appropriate solution here? It just seems like a lot of foam and sealant, even if I were to fill most of the void with sand or something first.

Thanks for any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Large gap between retaining wall and driveway-10390961_10153041867612565_5005778691831692872_n.jpg  

life_aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote