Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Share |

Landscaping Around New Colored Concrete

Hello. First post from me. I am in sunny, and hot, las vegas.

I had a patio poured with stamped colored concrete and had a couple questions.

1. I would like to start planting around it. How long until it is cured enough to start planting shrubs around it in 20" section between patio and house and patio and pool deck? Planting will involve getting concrete wet. Is 7 days enough time?

2. How long can I wash off the patio? How about scrub it with a non-metal brush (and light soap/water) to remove the dust and deisel fuel (release agent)? The release agent is keeping some areas very dark while others areas are very light and slightly dusty. Slab was poured 5 days ago.

3. Thoughts on using a light soap/water mix to wash the patio?

Thanks. This concrete stuff is complex stuff and a bit of an art.

12many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Obviously if you have a stamped patio you had an artisan do it? Have you called and asked them these questions?

If it has been a week I hope it is on it way to being cured. It will change color as it does its thing.

The release agent was just applied to keep the stamp molds from sticking. I would rinse it off but not get paranoid about it hurting plants. I don't know what your folks used but most I have encountered is organic. You might want to do a quick Ph test (home kit will cost you $20) to see if you need to adjust for that.

I would not plant stuff until your done washing off your new patio too often and dragging hoses about. Since you are in Vegas? ODDS ARE you could drown or hurt them physically before whatever used for mold release will.

A pressure washer with low power nozzle might be better at getting the residual release agent off then your garden hose. Ask the installers though.

Last edited by user1007; 05-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

Thanks. I appreciate your input.

Anyone else have any thoughts about whether the concrete is too green to work around with a shovel for planting?
12many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

I can't speak for LV, but here, at 5 days old, it wouldn't be sealed yet, meaning it would be extremely vulnerable to staining.

If that's the case, this is my advice:

Don't walk on it, don't wash it off, don't touch it, and don't pay for it until it's sealed and you're happy with it.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12many View Post
Hello. First post from me. I am in sunny, and hot, las vegas.

I had a patio poured with stamped colored concrete and had a couple questions.

1. I would like to start planting around it. How long until it is cured enough to start planting shrubs around it in 20" section between patio and house and patio and pool deck? Planting will involve getting concrete wet. Is 7 days enough time?

2. How long can I wash off the patio? How about scrub it with a non-metal brush (and light soap/water) to remove the dust and deisel fuel (release agent)? The release agent is keeping some areas very dark while others areas are very light and slightly dusty. Slab was poured 5 days ago.

3. Thoughts on using a light soap/water mix to wash the patio?

Thanks. This concrete stuff is complex stuff and a bit of an art.

Your patio won't be cured for 30 days,and where you live it's a very good idea to keep it wet to slow the drying process,thus avoiding the possibilites of stress cracking for at least a week,and possibly longer.

It would be to your advantage to wash off the diesel fuel,so the water can get to the concrete to keep it wet,and until your satisfied the diesel fuel is removed,i wouldn't put any plants in place,for detergent i would use Dawn to cut the oil,as it's been known to work better than other detergents for this purpose.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

I missed the part about the diesel fuel.............

What happened to the contractor, did they die??????

I honestly wouldn't touch the concrete, it's the sole responsibility of the contractor to complete the job. I know I wouldn't want customers of mine dinking around with a stamped concrete job I was in the middle of..........
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I missed the part about the diesel fuel.............

What happened to the contractor, did they die??????

I honestly wouldn't touch the concrete, it's the sole responsibility of the contractor to complete the job. I know I wouldn't want customers of mine dinking around with a stamped concrete job I was in the middle of..........

The job is finished,but apparently the contractor used diesel fuel as a release agent for his stamping mats,instead of using a standard dry release agent cast on the surface, did it on the cheap i guess.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
The job is finished,but apparently the contractor used diesel fuel as a release agent for his stamping mats,instead of using a standard dry release agent cast on the surface, did it on the cheap i guess.
How do you know it's complete from these two posts???