Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Share |

Joining new concrete slab to old concrete slab

This December my wife and I lost our home in a fire. We are left with a scorched slab and are in the process of planning a rebuild. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas/experience pouring a new slab on top of an old one. Our old slab was on grade and had our ABS groundworks as well as our hydronic heating. The new slab would raise the main floor elevation 12" to allow for new ground works and hydronic heating and would have a 12" x 12" footing on the perimeter with 1/2" rebar dowelled in on 16" centers and be backfilled to allow for a 4" slab on top. The question that is coming up is in regards to the new/old concrete bond and potential moisture coming back in once were are done. We are also planning on skirting the new/old slab combo with rigid insulation as well as a waterproof memebrane.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Concrete Stone and Masonry forum.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

sorry to hear about the loss !

you're looking at no ' bond ' but a new slab 12" higher,,, if i understand your post correctly, there will be a new 1.0 x 1.0 foundation outside of the present tied into the existing w/epoxied rebars

when you determine the final floor elevation, i think you'll find it much less expensive to fill the space w/graded & compacted aggregate base material then place a vapor barrier on top of it.

as always, don't forget a properly installed contraction joint pattern to negate random cracking of the new conc

too bad you didn't list ' where ' this new home will be built as, often, responses vary according to geography

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, the rebuild location is in Nordegg,Alberta. We are planning on compacted aggregate inside the footing but in talking to our local codes officer the "bond" came up. I still am unsure if this is really an issue as the two would be tied together with the epoxied rebar dowels and it would be protected with a waterproof membrane surrounding the insulated exterior. I guess the question is "does really matter?"
Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #5

w/o knowing local soil issues, i wouldn't ' bond ' the new slab nor would i worry about tie bars but this is w/o knowing what's what,,, aren't you excavating for a new footer next to the existing ?

IF you're required to ' bond ', that's going to call for extensive existing slab prep - unnecessary in my mind
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

The new slab would be the same size as the original, just a foot higher to allow for new ground works etc. sorry for the confusion.