Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #1

Share |

Jackhammer to breakup fence post concrete - how powerful?

I need to remove a concrete chunk that supported a wood fence post which rotted out. It is about 1.5 feet wide and 1.5 feet deep and more cylindrical in shape rather than an upside down cone.

Are jackhammers that I can rent from Home Depot powerful enough to break it up? If so, what kind should I rent and how long will it take?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by menevets; 05-05-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: description
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #2

yes, they are depending on how much time you have to finish the chipping,,, 30# class should demo it w/i 20min,,, we normally use chisel bits rather'n points,,, if that's all it is, we'd dig it out w/shovels & a crowbar then break w/8# sledge

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
menevets (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
yes, they are depending on how much time you have to finish the chipping,,, 30# class should demo it w/i 20min,,, we normally use chisel bits rather'n points,,, if that's all it is, we'd dig it out w/shovels & a crowbar then break w/8# sledge
Thanks. That's good to hear, I thought it would take a couple of hours.

Will HD give me a choice of bits for the jackhammer? Or maybe that's an additional rental.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

they do when we rent AND @ no addl chge - both here & in hilton head,,, we find points more difficult for breaking than chisel bits,,, 4hr rental was $44,,, buy a 8# sledge for less AND have it ' in the house ' for next time,,, if you don't ever use it, sell it & recoup some of your $$$,,, rental costs aren't recoverable

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 05-05-2013 at 07:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
menevets (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

how do you KNOW it is 1.5' deep ? got any pics ?

i just pulled 4 posts out. 2 = 1'ish round and about 3' deep. 2 = about 2cf square. i used an engine hoist.

can you somehow fasten a chain to the cement ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

could also get a cat 235 excavator w/jersey barrier grapple think we all tend to overkill something now 'n' then, no ?

ps - cement is an ingredient of concrete unless you're from the south in which instant its pronounced ' cee-ment ' as in ' mom, there's a frog in the cee-ment pond out in the backyard ! '

Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
could also get a cat 235 excavator w/jersey barrier grapple think we all tend to overkill something now 'n' then, no ?

ps - cement is an ingredient of concrete unless you're from the south in which instant its pronounced ' cee-ment ' as in ' mom, there's a frog in the cee-ment pond out in the backyard ! '
are you making fun of me ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Everybody should work with a jackhammer once in life because it is one of those tools that will realign all internal organs with just a short period of use.

I too think renting one just for one post anchor borders on overkill. As mentioned, you will find other uses for the sledge or turn around and sell it on Craig's List.

Some on this site have had luck with chemicals that break down concrete so it fractures easier. You just have to wait for the chemical reaction to do its thing and you need a hammer drill and masonry bit to drill holes. You will still need a sledge to break it up.

I think you will be surprised how well the sledge hammer works. You will have this done in the time it takes you to load the jackhammer on the truck, drag it to your post anchor, hook it up, and drag it back to the rental place.

Of course when I lived in Wyoming, the favorite tool even for nailing finish carpentry was dynamite. Wyoming bubbas use it for everything, even painting trim. It will get the job done.

Last edited by user1007; 05-05-2013 at 11:10 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
menevets (05-05-2013), Nailbags (05-08-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Everybody should work with a jackhammer once in life because it is one of those tools that will realign all internal organs with just a short period of use.

I too think renting one just for one post anchor borders on overkill. As mentioned, you will find other uses for the sledge or turn around and sell it on Craig's List.

Some on this site have had luck with chemicals that break down concrete so it fractures easier. You just have to wait for the chemical reaction to do its thing and you need a hammer drill and masonry bit to drill holes. You will still need a sledge to break it up.

I think you will be surprised how well the sledge hammer works. You will have this done in the time it takes you to load the jackhammer on the truck, drag it to your post anchor, hook it up, and drag it back to the rental place.

Of course when I lived in Wyoming, the favorite tool even for nailing finish carpentry was dynamite. Wyoming bubbas use it for everything, even painting trim. It will get the job done.

The moment I saw "Wyoming", dynamite came to mind......and then you said it.....

My
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:

I took a long axe to it trying both sides and the pieces that broke off were tiny. Will a sledge hammer really make a difference?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #11

Just a post-mortem. I bought an 8# sledgehammer and broke off about 10%, but it was too much work so I rented a 35# jackhammer, which did the job nicely in about 30 minutes, but even with the jackhammer, with the dull worn rented chisel bit, it wasn't easy, but way easier than with a sledgehammer. NYC jackhammer rental is more than the typical rental - it cost $60 tax/insurance/bit included for 4 hours.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

But, don't your organs all feel like they have been shaken back to where they should be now? Well worth $60. And you can honestly say you have worked with a true, Burly Man tool and not just Girly Boy ones!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
But, don't your organs all feel like they have been shaken back to where they should be now? Well worth $60. And you can honestly say you have worked with a true, Burly Man tool and not just Girly Boy ones!
Yeah, pretty shaken up.

It was well worth it, was debating buying one as I eventually have to repave the driveway and thinking about DIY. Oh well.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Was it an electric 35#?? If so, those things really are nothing. I grew up around a 105# Thor air hammer hooked to a tow-behind air compressor. That thing would kick your azz after a few hours............
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Was it an electric 35#?? If so, those things really are nothing. I grew up around a 105# Thor air hammer hooked to a tow-behind air compressor. That thing would kick your azz after a few hours............
Yeah, only 35#. I've only used a 15# before. I can only imagine what a pneumatic feels like. I'll worry about that when the driveway starts to fall apart.

Way better than a sledgehammer though.

Tags
concrete, fence post removal, jackhammer