Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Introducing myself and hopefully getting some suggestions. (Long post)

This is my first post here, so I'll take a second to introduce myself. I live in Western NY, south of Buffalo, near the NY/PA border. I have been involved in a wide range of construction and home improvement for pretty much my entire life (I'm in my 30s). I began working ceramic tile jobs at the age of 8. Both my father and step father work in the home improvement fields as mainly a roofer and a mason, respectively. I've been looking for a home improvement forum to join for a while now, and I decided DIYC is the place to be. I'm looking forward to meeting people and sharing knowledge in the time to come.

My issue... backstory:

My girlfriend bought a "house" a few years back at a tax auction, without me getting a chance to look at it. Since the purchase, I've put in well more than plenty of work to make it a nice place to live. At one point, she hired someone who said they could fix some foundation issues. After he cut away and removed two feet of concrete from against the house, he realized that the task was beyond his ability and abandoned the job. I did get the foundation repaired and replaced the sill plate and rim joist around the entire house.

The removed section of patio has ended up being a big source of rain water entering the crawl space under the house, so I'm looking to fill it back in. Before I do so, I want to make sure this will be done correctly, or as correctly as possible (I don't like that phrase, as there is only one level of correct).

The issue is, the foundation was not built to an adequate height from the start. Looking back, when I had the house lifted to replace the sill and rim, I should have added a 4" block, at least. But, I didn't, and I am well past that being an option now.

The patio next to the house, that needs to be filled back in to prevent water from flowing under the house, happens to have a surface that is about 1-1/2 inches above the top of the foundation. Removing the entire patio to re-grade is not an option. Filling it back in at or below foundation grade will create a low spot that will cause water to pool against the house and enter that way. Currently, water pools and and enters through the foundation, which is presumably a bit better than water pooling against the rim and future siding. A french drain would be a very, very involved option. This is on the west side of the house. The north side is up hill, and the patio wraps around the west and south side, blocking a potential drain.

What I'm looking to do is fill the patio back in toward the house. I know it's a no-no to pour up against the sheeting of the house, which is covering the rim joist. I've come up with a few compromise options, but I'd like to see what you guys have to say about it and get some insight that I might not have thought of before I get into it.

One attached picture is from within the current void. It shows how the patio surface is about 1.5" higher than the bottom of the sheeting. The other picture shows the profile I have to conform to. The sheeting is over top of the original planks, so I have a ripped 2x4 to shim it out to meet that thickness at the sill plate. That total thickness, from the block, is about 1.75 inches.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing myself and hopefully getting some suggestions.  (Long post)-ditch.jpg   Introducing myself and hopefully getting some suggestions.  (Long post)-overhang.jpg  

Snitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 68

With those two pictures it hard to get the full big picture.
From what little I can see it sure looks like a French drain is called for as a minimum.
The real way is to lift the whole house.
That siding by minimum modern code would have to be at least 6" above finished grade.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

I believe the house was originally built as a camp. I understand the siding/grade relation as far as code goes.

I realize that lifting the house would be ideal. And a french drain is ideal, but that would require cutting through the south section of patio that wraps around. In the first picture, the end of the ditch (corner of the house) is blocked by the other section of patio. Past that patio is 40 feet of lawn, then the road. If I ran a drain, I would have nowhere to drain it. The nearest ground that is lower grade is the south-east corner. I'd have to dig the patio on the south side as well..

But.. then... I'm left with what I'm left with now.. but on two sides of the house. I'm mainly looking to fill this back in while introducing the fewest amount of potential problems with having a low foundation. (I realize I can't completely avoid all of the problems. I'm forced to compromise)

Working on getting more pics, by the way
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

This is toward the south side, in the same general direction as the first picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing myself and hopefully getting some suggestions.  (Long post)-img_20130731_194941.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

is this 1 of the chatauqua camps ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #6

Hi Snitty welcome to this forum.
ThomasMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
is this 1 of the chatauqua camps ?
I'm not far from the Chautauqua area. But it's not a Chautauqua camp.