Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Share |

Interior stone veneer the right way

I am (for the first time) installing a fireplace and would like to dress it out using a stone veneer. The fireplace guy told me to cover the framing with Durock and mortar the veneer to that. When I mentioned lath and scratch coats, he indicated that wasn't necessary.

Which is why I am posting this - I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be a good use of my time to do either or both.

I am considering a dry stack look (i.e. no grout lines).

Could someone spell out the method and materials I should use to minimize potential headaches?

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Consult the manufacturers installation instructions, but he is right, other than I prefer to use thinset over cement board. If you use thinset, you may have to knock off some of the high points on the backside of the fake stone.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #3

So if I install Durock rough side out, that it will be rough enough to, essentially, act like a scratch coat?

You also mentioned the use of thinset rather than, say, type S mortar. Thinset I have. Do you suggest a modified or unmodified thinset?

I understand that I would butter the back of the stones, leaving a divot in the center to help suction the veneer to the wall.

I a wet saw a good way to cut this stuff?
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #4

Personally, I prefer hardibacker, but either will work. Modified thinset, buttered as stated, although most manufacturers will recommend 100% buttering.